• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any such thing as a reasonable price fish/sport glass boat?

weld1

Current boat is a alumacraft trophy 180 w/ F150 yamaha, we would like to find a glass boat that is similar to this style as every one i talk to says the glass boats ride much better in rough waters?? I have checked out and really like the nitro 290 sport and the skeeter wx1900 but the price range is much higher than i would like to spend at this time... does anyone have any other ideas that i could check out? im still learning about the fiberglass boats, thank you for any insight!

I think your cheapest option will be the Starcraft STX 186 (new version of the Sylvan Viper mentioned above). Seems to be a good boat but not much talk about it.

Also take a look at the Larson FX 1850. I don't know the price range on that, but have to believe it would be cheaper than the Rangers and Lunds.

I was in the same "boat" you are in a few years ago.

Could not justify Ranger dollars.

I settled on a Stratos 386 XF.

I could not be happier.

This was about $15K under a Ranger.

The fit & finish are not as perfect as a Ranger but it is basically the same boat.

As far as glass vs. aluminum you will not be disapointed.

Much smoother ride, great on rough water, and the spray is not an issue.

I was in the same "boat" you are in a few years ago.

Could not justify Ranger dollars.

I settled on a Stratos 386 XF.

I could not be happier.

This was about $15K under a Ranger.

The fit & finish are not as perfect as a Ranger but it is basically the same boat.

As far as glass vs. aluminum you will not be disapointed.

Much smoother ride, great on rough water, and the spray is not an issue.

The Stratos is a great way to go, but I can gaurantee that it is not "basically the same". There are many structurual and cosmetic differences between the two, but like you said, they are cheaper and they are great entry level boats.

If the price of a new boat is a little steep for you at this time. Find the type of boat that you want used. Look at something that is two years old with low hours and in mint condition. You will still have a warranty and you will save money. In Mn you don't pay sales tax when you buy a used boat. Sales tax on the trailer though. I know it's probably impossible to find exactly the boat rigged the way you would have done it new but when you can save thousands off the sticker you can except some small changes.

The ride is much better and dry in a good fiberglass. If you find a boat you like be patient and scour the internet. Could possibly find a new but year old model. Down side is you may have to travel a ways. There are also many nice boats a couple years old which will hit the market for any number of reasons and people just want to get rid of the monthly payments.

Three years ago I picked up a new but one year old Triton Allure for less than I was going to pay for an Alumacraft Tournament sport. Went through two states to get it. Luckily I have had no problems with the boat or motor.

All good info! I did pass a few weeks ago on a boat i should have moved on.... but thats why im searching different brands and stuff, the new boat would not get tons of hours per year so if i end up with more of a beginer type glass boat thats ok also, thanks for all the info!

Last year I was in the same boat as you so to speak, except my boat was a lund 1700 fisherman with a 140 hp. I wanted bigger, glass and not to break the bank. I settled on the Stratos 386XF. I found a carry over with 150hp E-tec. It came with everything I wanted like On board charger, Minn-Kota with I-Pilot, ram rod holders and some other good stuff. Out the door price was $29000. After selling my old boat I was in it for less than $12000 with 5 years of warrany. I have been very happy with the boat and the ride. It gets on plane faster than my other boat did and tops out at about 47 mph. I haven't had any problems with the boat yet except a couple snaps broke on the snap in carpet. Next time I guess I better pop the stuck snap up with a screw driver instead of just pulling extra hard. Good luck I hope you find the right boat for you. I also looked at the skeeter and triton and thought they looked nice.

JEFFB does the new boat handle the rough water better than the old boat? i looked at the stratos 386 at the big C and they look nice! the only thing i wasnt real excited about was the storage under the consols. have you found any issue with this? thanks!

I also run a Stratos 386xf. The storage under the consoles is goofy. For me it's batteries (on both sides) and covered by fabric with snaps. Getting the batteries out of there is a huge PITA and is one of the few complaints I have. The other is water getting into the rod locker. It's the lowest point on the boat, even lower than the bilge pump, that may be fixed in newer versions.

As to the ride - sure a glass boat has a better ride than a tin boat but IMO it's not WORLDS better like some guys on here will proclaim. Your trophy 180 is a solid boat. If the ride is the only reason you want to switch I think you'll be disappointed in the end, think of the money you'll be spending. $500 worth of suspension seats in your current boat might be a better route.

JEFFB does the new boat handle the rough water better than the old boat? i looked at the stratos 386 at the big C and they look nice! the only thing i wasnt real excited about was the storage under the consols. have you found any issue with this? thanks!
The ride is very smooth compared to my lund, and it gets on plane much faster with the boat staying quite level through acceleration. I didn't really like the under console storage either so I added a nice big built in tackle box to the drivers console, and in the passenger console I moved the onboard charger next to the batteries in the passenger console. I bought a tube style rod organizer for the rod locker I was able to slide this forward further that I thought I would be able to so now I also have storage behind the rods in the rod locker. I don't have any fishing rods longer than 6.5 ft so I found a ton of free room in this modification. Over all I love the boat. My lund was also a great trouble free boat, but in comparision it too slow and rough for the price for me. I found that when fishing I don't feel as though the waves are throwing me around as much. After a big day of fishing I don't feel near as beat up. I'm not knocking anyones aluminim boat I had one for a long time, but if a smooth ride, and not getting bounced around by the wind when trolling is a important to you I would look at the glass boats, there are some good ones that don't have to break the bank.

I got my accessories at greatlakesskipper dot com. I went with the twelve tube organizer. For the back portion of the organizer I made my own using both the front and back parts of the the old organizer. My built in tackle box for the console came frome here. After spending a couple hundred bucks a lot of people I have fished with have said they cant believe what great storage the stratos has. Then I have to explain the things I changed. My wife thought I was nuts when she walked in the garage seeing me cutting a larger hole in the console of the new boat.

I also run a Stratos 386xf. The storage under the consoles is goofy. For me it's batteries (on both sides) and covered by fabric with snaps. Getting the batteries out of there is a huge PITA and is one of the few complaints I have.

My 386xf is 6 years old so they may be layed out differently now. I have a panel with 12 screws on each console facing the seats. The batteries a easy to access if I take the panels off.

Let us know what you find and how the prices are. I'm not in the market yet, but always like a good shopping story. For those boat shopping I will say the one option I would never go without is the I-pilot on the trolling motor. I pilot makes fishing with you kids stress free and enjoyable, no more drifting out to sea or into the weeds when helping your kids out or netting a buddy's fish.

Jeff - thanks for the info on the rod locker, +1 on the Ipilot with kids. The wireless remote is great for running around the boat untangling lines.....uhg is it spring yet....

I have a panel with 12 screws on each console facing the seats. The batteries a easy to access if I take the panels off.

Are you talking about the foot well panel? Mine has sheet metal screws holding them in, I'd be worried that's I'd strip out the fiberglass with repeated removal but that would make it a lot easier.

[quote

Are you talking about the foot well panel? Mine has sheet metal screws holding them in, I'd be worried that's I'd strip out the fiberglass with repeated removal but that would make it a lot easier.