• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camera

FishinFools

My son has grown tired of the ol' FL8 marking fish that won't bite. He has $100 Christmas money burning a hole and is mind-set on a camera. I'm sure you get what you pay for...but...anyone got a comment on some lower priced units? Thx

I bought an aquaview base model back in the day, it [PoorWordUsage] out after 2 seasons. Decided to go even cheaper the next year and picked up a FishTV for like $99. Quality of the picture was not that much different but after a few times out with it and seeing what others can do in my opinion if you cant get the 360 view its a waste. I havent brought that camera out in years. You waste so much time looking down at it and spinning the camera that it takes a lot of time away from fishing. Also I do not like the extra image it puts on the flasher. I would much rather spend my time fishing than playing with a stupid camera. I am sure other would agree. Have him save his money or purchase something else. I would not recommend the cheapy underwater camera.

There are some uses to having a camera. Finding structure, and mastering bait presentation are a couple. It will not replace a flasher for speed and ease of use. You will have to drill another hole, unless you want the camera appearing on your flasher like previously stated. Getting the thing down the hole and pointed at your bait is an entirely separate challenge as well, but I can understand how it can be fun for a young kid especially. I myself get pretty excited to see a fish actually come up and interact with my bait. At the price range you listed, however, I don't thing you're going to find a decent camera. Depending on what camera you purchase, you may quickly find it necessary to add a panning accessory, as it can be quite frustrating to move the camera back and forth manually as it hangs from a twisted wire. My advice is to purchase a nice one, or skip the frustration altogether.

Ironically I have not used my camera in 3 seasons and am looking to get rid of it. I have pics if interested. Like new. Used no more than 5 times in 5 seasons.

I do have to agree that you seem to spend a lot of time watching the camera when you have one. I don't use it because of my some. It got to be to hard to bring it, the fish finder, and the boy.

I have an older aqua vu and the recurring complaint is a good one. It is a giant pain in the butt to position the camera on your bait. I solved it by buying an aqua vu mo pod (tripod panning device) last week. Works pretty slick. Little keychain (wireless) remote control. If he gets a camera, I think the mo pod is a must. $60 from a little retailer in anoka. Pm me if u need contact info. He had two at the time..

Since he only has so much to spend try and get one of these at Fleet. their like $14

They make holding your cam in place a lot better then the tripod deals and help make adjustments easier. The cord will keep unwinding for a few minutes which is a pain. I drop my cam down until I see bottom but not drop it to stir it all up. I then put on one of the largest pimples I have and keep jigging it up and down until I get the jig centered and then lock it into the holder. The cord will still unwind for a while so you have to keep making small adjustments to keep it centered but it does stop after a while. I will have to say that I to do not use it as much as I use to because I run so much with sled and porty I just don't sit still long enough to enjoy it.

full-27051-29227-marcum_compass.jpg

Below is another option that I used for years, almost free. Get a wooden board long enough to span ice hole by at least 2 inches, drill a hole through it, and cut a notch from hole to edge of board. That's where the cable goes. Use a clothes pin to pinch cable at top of board to hold position so the camera will hang at whatever depth you want

full-3133-29233-cameraboard.jpg

How old is your son?

The camera is a great learning tool. The Big C has one of theirs that is always in the bargain cave for around $100, that is what I have. You do need one of those camera compasses as mentioned above. I also put the real weeds on the cable to help hold fish and hide the camera.

My wife uses it for her hole and I use my flasher. It does cause some inconveniences for the person using the flasher, but if your son wants to spend time with you fishing and it makes him happy, than it’s worth it.

The camera is ok quality. If you are fishing very stained water in low light conditions its no good, but if you go to a clear lake in the middle of the day its awesome.

There are far better ones out there, but for $100 I really like it. I have learned a ton about ice fishing watching how the fish react to the bait on the camera that you just cannot see on a flasher.