• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Updating Priorities

amateurfishing

i have a few "wants" that i would like to do to my 1984 16 ft crestliner with 75 HP Mercury over the next few years. i would like opinions on order of importance or prioritizing or is this whole list of wants not worth the boat and maybe look into upgrading boat.

1. a good once over inspection with motor, it seems to bog down & stall at times so not 100% dependable, but have had it to 30 mph as well.

2. decent long term custom cover for rain & winter.

3. replace flooring & hopefully add additional storage during the process

4. update trolling motor, currently original 1984 28lb. thrust

i should add i currently have an off the shelf rain cover which is as advertised not 100% water proof. to best of my knowledge fooring is original but still usable for a few more years as boat does not get used that much (but hopefully changing that). if trolling motor is updated only want is remote control steering to better assist kids when in boat. thx

You can do all of those and more for much less than a more current used boat price. The question is if it is worth it to you. I would do in this order:

1 - 4 - 3 - 2

1 - stinks to have motor that isn't working properly. A good tune up would not hurt, especially if you never did it before. Or if you didn't do it yet, just new plugs and run heavier than normal fuel cleaner and try that first.

4 - just makes life easier and more fun while fishing, and it can go with you to new boat some day - though likely not wink you will want shiny new trolling motor on shiny new boat wink But this will be something that would be "used" every time out.

3 - The floor is not "hard" but time consuming and you need to be a contorsionist wink We did our floor in '82 Alumacraft a few years ago. Nice to do if you have heated garage, and do it in the winter. Then you are not in a hurry. Also if you are younger this is easier to do. My old bones might have one more floor job left in me for our '97 boat when it needs it, but I'm getting close to saying nope or "teaching" grandson how to do it, haha!

4 - nice but no biggie unless it sits in the yard not in garage - but then a big tarp would work too, much cheaper wink

Good luck!

thx so much for the quick replies. i did expect the motor to be the first thing but did not expect the trolling motor to be the second since i already have one, just shows how much i really know, nor did i expect the boat cover to be last. thx for the info

If your looking for ideas on #3, here's my boat remodeling from this spring:

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...yle#Post2836729

But as others have said, get that motor running and a 50-70# trolling motor first.

very nice remodel, u were able to add tons of storage and i have lots of wasted space up front where i hope to add smaller compartments for ropes, anchor, etc little things. unfortunately i have no heated storage to work on during winter and am not as handy as you are at all. would love to do something like that on my own but will never be able to find the time with wife in corporate world and 3 kids under 8 that are always on the run. maybe in 3 or 4 years after i get the motor humming perfectly and nicer troller.

when looking for trolling motor, what does my boat need or what do i need to look for? the only "gadget" that i think would be way cool is remote operation, i have a 1 yr old HB 597 so wont be doing the ethernet 360 package or anything. what is recommended new or used? brand? model?

a 28 lb trolling motor from '84 is the equivalent of having no trolling motor. It will only be useful on dead calm days. Trust me. I had a 82 Motorguide, 28lb on a 17.5 alumacraft and it was useless in a slight breeze. I have a 55lb minnkota powerdrive v2 on there now.

The new fancy iPilot is very nice, but not needed. One thing that is "needed" IMHO is at leas the Co-Pilot. We have not used the footpedal on ours since we got it, many moons ago... just the co-pilot remote.

We have 74# co-pilot 24v on 18' boat, and an older non-co-pilot 55# 12v on 16 foot boat. Both have enough power, but without co-pilot & Auto-pilot it is a pain driving that boat after being iin the bigger nicer one.

Our next big purchase, that makes our old boat feel new, will likely be the Terrova with iPliot. That spotlock is just so cool in itself!

But on the cheap(er), a Co-pilot and Auto-pilot are awesome, and a 55# 12vwould work well on your boat, I would think. Good luck.

oh yeah - one other thing that helps an older boat, is putting good seats. Not just "new" seats, but "GOOD" seats! Unfortunately that means expen$ive seats, but after hours out there, they make a difference. Centric SAS here wink with air rides under them. Plus it makes the boat look a little newer, haha!

The new fancy iPilot is very nice, but not needed. One thing that is "needed" IMHO is at leas the Co-Pilot. We have not used the footpedal on ours since we got it, many moons ago... just the co-pilot remote.

We have 74# co-pilot 24v on 18' boat, and an older non-co-pilot 55# 12v on 16 foot boat. Both have enough power, but without co-pilot & Auto-pilot it is a pain driving that boat after being iin the bigger nicer one.

i agree bout the seats 100%, think those r original as well and yes i am sore after a few hours on the water, boat came with 3 and i had to fight for everything just to get an additional seat last year so whole family could go at once, just bought something to get by with an extra pedestal that i had. sadly seats wont be possible till the flooring is done IMO...cause will require all new bases & pedestals and i dont want any extra holes in the already slightly sub par floor. thx for the info

Our next big purchase, that makes our old boat feel new, will likely be the Terrova with iPliot. That spotlock is just so cool in itself!

But on the cheap(er), a Co-pilot and Auto-pilot are awesome, and a 55# 12vwould work well on your boat, I would think. Good luck.

oh yeah - one other thing that helps an older boat, is putting good seats. Not just "new" seats, but "GOOD" seats! Unfortunately that means expen$ive seats, but after hours out there, they make a difference. Centric SAS here wink with air rides under them. Plus it makes the boat look a little newer, haha!