• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
otterman91105

Late Night Bite

Hey everyone just wondering if anyone has had luck fishing crappies from like 12am - 4am. I'm working second shift this winter and would like to try it just don't know if it's a waste of time. Thanks for any input.

Fishing is never a waste of time!! I guess I havent done it too many times but Ive been out there at that time and have had luck before.

Some lakes have a night bite for walleyes and crappies and some do not. Keep asking around do not let anyone tell you their is some pattern based on water clarity.

Good luck

The lake that I live next to is one off those odd lakes that seem to have a late night pannie bite and I'm not just talking of crappies. The sunnies come out to play after dark here and we have got some really nice ones because of waiting around after dark ,and as late as midnight.

I would say if your fishing your not wasting your time your researching it. grin

Thats what I tell the wife anyways. laugh

It's like a odd time for them to bite but would like to try it just cause i never have done it before and that the time i get off work. Maybe i'll try it when this cold snap is over.

I have always had luck on the late night pannies. Not every lake will produce them after dark though. I find that lakes with deep basins and clear water will do better that a deep stained lake. Also have had good luck on shallow lakes that are connected to river systems. The only real way to find out if the lake you are fishing is a night bite lake is to go out and try it.

The lake that i fish maining is shallow 17ft deep is the deepest point normally i would fish for crappies in 15 would you still try same depth or go more shallow.

I've been fishing tonka lately with a very slow night bite. Anyone else on tonka having this issue? Not sure what is typical though

The lake I'm referring to is only 12 fow max depth. And typically not real clear. I think a lot has to do with predators making them more active in the night time hours as they don't feed as much in the day time due to high predation risks.

Fish the same areas if that doesn't produce try shallower.

If you're going for crappies on a late night bite, the key is patience. They will bite at night on most lakes. I say most because I havent fished every lake but any lake that I have fished late night for crappies has payed off. There can be down time though and thats when you need to trust yourself and your bait. Dont get too antsy, stick to what you know. Couple weeks ago I went out with a buddy at 11:30pm and we fished til 4:30am. We only caught 15 crappies but at 1:10am we got a 15 inch and at 2:10 we got a 17.5 inch slab at 2lbs8oz. Crappies feed better in low light conditions hence why you have sunrise and sunset bites.