• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

leech for opener

BIGRED07

I am staying on leech lake this year for the opener on the east side. Only fished leech once and it was later in the year. Any areas that would be a good starting point? Was thinking of going out with Al Mass or Jim Murphy for a day. Has anyone been with either or have a guide for leech they would recommend? Thanks

hey bigred then turn leech into a small lake, pick out a likely bay with a river or creek to it or if you know where they spawn, much depends on water temps on opener, hope for a warm spring maybe and then topwater the daylights out of it not just at what you'd think early/late would be primetimes, but anytime you have overcast or not, have 1 guy in your boat topwatering at all times, if you guys have no luck consider open water trolling and hope for the best, then try bay # 2 and so on.

I've always waited to fish Leech until late August and I haven't fished it in 2 years so I wasn't going to post. But like mentioned above, it will depend on what type of spring we have but I would also try and find shallow weeds over around Bear Island and up in Portage bay and I would even try ayound Pelican because I seem to remember that being a spawing area according to the DNR. (I know the DNR has a map of the spawning areas) You can also check the south shore of the big lake all the way over into Ural bay, Pipe might be worth a try too. As far as I know from reading posts on here, the smaller fish might still be in those areas and the bigger fish might go out to open water to heal but you never know.

Did you check with Al and Jim for openings? I think they are pretty busy but if you can get a day with them, they'll know where to go. Al Maas is a legend!

Al Maas taught me how to musky fish. He's a terrific guy, and as stated above, a legend in his own time. I was also good friends with both his sons, Chuck and Doug. It was a sad day when they were both lost to the lake.

Leech Lake muskies are some of the most educated fish in the state. Early opener is one of the best times to catch them off guard, and not completely accustomed to every bait in our arsenal.

A couple calls into the local, Walker, bait stores should also give you some great advice on good baits, and great areas to start.

If Leech's muskies are some of the most educated in the state then what do we say about the 3,000 acres and less water musky lakes that I tend to fish ? Leech they have there bachelors degree and maybe some extra credits on their transcripts so the lakes I fish they must have the masters plus 60 or a doctorate degree. smile That hog on battle that just followed my boat around must have been writing his dissertation lol.

I would recomend you Hook up with Jeff from Leisure Outdoors. He knows that lake like the back of his hand, and a good guide. Over the Weekend there was a Jason Mitchell episode on TV and Jeff was his guide. I fished with Jeff last year and it was a blast.

Some have mentioned Al Maas and Jeff Andersen from LOA. Keep in mind that the Leech Lake Walleye Tournament is going on the same weekend as Muskie Opener this year. I know Jeff fishes the LLWT every year and Al has fished it almost every year as well. It may be tough to find someone that weekend as most of the Leech guides throw their hat into the circle for the LLWT.