• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

building a new house

bassNspear

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just thinking of lumber cost. Not knocking your design, just thinking that 6x8 would offer just a tad more room, little extra weight, and almost zero lumber waste.

Looks like it will make a nice spearing house. I'm planning to build a nice little house like this for me and the kids to have on our local river. Lots of good pike spearing, and fishing opportunities here.

Grew up spearing pike on our local river, and I want my kids to enjoy the same great experience. Just wish my old "friends" hadn't stolen my spearing decoy collection! mad

For me lumber waste is less of an issue than getting the size that works for you.

There is always another project in the future to use the scrap lumber on... grin

If you only need a certain dimension, and it is easier for you to lug around at that dimension then build it at that dimension.

Bigger is not always better, but I can see where sometimes it is.

i believe that to big would have been a pain to haul. and i feel this is more then big enough

I honestly think the size you're building it is about perfect. Big enough for two but not so big you can't move it around by yourself.

Hey, like I said, I'm not knockin' it. Looks like it's going to be a really nice house. I was just curious about the dimensions of choice.

I'm anxious to see how you finish it. My mind keeps playing thru options for my own spear house on how to build it well, and still keep the weight down to something reasonable and easy to handle.

the only thing im having a hard time with is trying to figure out what i shoudl do about mounting my lines. as you all know, i usta have a reel on the floor, and i want to get away from that.

im heading to fleet farm to figure out some idea. i dont want to do rattle reels, as they drive me nutz

I mount reels to the wall and put eye hooks above them. I have a board in a sliding track above the hole that has eye hooks in it
This what I do too.

I use those old style level wind reels that you can buy at flee markets or you could use cheap fly reels, hey do make a few spool try reels that would work.

I also put 3-4 eye screws up on the ceiling to get the decoy where I want it in the hole.