• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2 place trailer

Red_Eye

I'm considering an 8 1/2 x 10 aluminum 2 place trailer. My intentions are to haul one sled and a portable Otter fishhouse side by side. Is there a problem with running sled and portable side by side? With the primary intentions to haul a sled and portable is there value in drive on/drive off versus tilt deck? Any advice from the experienced people is appreciated.

Thanks.

Good salt shield, or the nice big drive off salt shields. If you can afford a covered, that sure would be nice. I have an alum covered but really don't use it more than to store the sleds in summer, cause I use sleds right from cabin 99% of time. But I can see where mine (even though tilt) would be great for having a otter in the #2 spot. No salt/sleet/theft to worry about.

Good luck.

I do exactly what you are talking about with a 2 up long track sled and a Calm Voyager porty right next to it, with a tilt trailer and no bad things happening at all. This is my 4th tilt trailer. They are a little cheaper in cost then the drive on/off as well. As Box said, get a salt sheld to keep everything clean. wink

I have a 2 place tilt and it is fine. Would I like a drive on off you bet and covered would be even better. But for the price and how much use I get out of it Ill stick with the tilt for now. I also have the plastic slides on my trailer so the sleds slide right off with not much effort.

i have a tilt and i use my long track or 4 wheeler on one side and I use a boat crank with a right angle pulley to hook to my CLAM to crank up the trailer.

here is what I do.

I pull up to the trailer push it down get the front of my machine to hold it tilted. Then hook the house up crank it so its just on but all the weight is in the back keeping it tilted. Then I back the machine up and drive on the trailer comes down I put the pin in. crank the house up the rest of the way strap everything down and im on the move. Takes about 3-5 min depending on how cold i am.

If you have a tilt trailer and you go by yourself a lot. You really need to get one of these shock lifts to help hold the trailer on tilt for you when loading. I have put them on two trailers now. You can get them at DK & ST wink

full-27051-27896-acprod68_76ad70bda3.jpg

I've owned both a tilt and a drive on/off. I liked the drive on/off much better. It was much less of a hassle. If I were buying again, I wouldn't even look at tilt trailers. There was maybe a $300.00 difference between both trailers. Both trailers had salt shields. I bought both used but in great shape. Good luck.

I do exactly what you are talking of. especially when I haul my sled and Otter Resort that dont fit in the truck bed. Just make sure the Otter is strapped down good and have a bungy from front to back and side to side. I will never own a tilt trailer after seeing friends struggle with them. I got a great deal on a floe drive on/off and love it.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Finalizing the deal tomorrow. 14 foot Sled Bed drive on/drive off with high folding salt shields. Really don't need that big of a trailer but experience or age have taught me I'll find a way of using the additional room.

Thanks again.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Finalizing the deal tomorrow. 14 foot Sled Bed drive on/drive off with high folding salt shields. Really don't need that big of a trailer but experience or age have taught me I'll find a way of using the additional room.

Thanks again.

ya, mite as well get as big of one your wife will allow! Happy X-mis! laugh

My tilt bed originally had springs to assist in raising it but they broke and they want a fortune for new ones. Like $70 for a $10 spring and I would need 2. Not worth it for the few times I use it each year. I looked at those shock things but wondered how they would hold up with salt etc.

Very nice trailers, my buddy has the same one in a tandem axle. Be cautious with the drive off ramp/salt shields though, he uses his for both snowmobiles and ATVs and his salt shield arms both cracked and we had to reinforce and weld them.