• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Great Danes as Hunters/Scouts

ican'tfindmy

I have two massive Great Danes at home and I want to train them to hunt deer, wild boars, and find deer antlers in a forest. Here's what I know: dogs that are trained to find shedded deer antlers first have to learn the smell of them and how they look. I also know that deer tend to shed their antlers in the early spring when they are starting to come out of their dens. Great Danes are very agile, fast, and extremely smart. They definitely have the capability to hunt down a deer or boar. The problem is, since they are so big, the make a lot of noise and will scare away any game in seconds. How do I train them to be stealthy and quiet while hunting?

First of all, make certain it is LEGAL to use dogs to hunt deer in the state you intend to hunt. Secondly, you'll find that in the states where it IS legal hunters tend to use hounds rather than a dog like a G.Dane.

I must confess I have never heard of using a G.Dane as a deer hunting dog, or to hunt anything else for that matter.

Frankly, I sense they may not be that great at what you wish to do and, I gotta say there is something about it that turns me off.

You sure you are not pulling our leg a bit......?

There's a show on NETFLIX called "Hogs gone wild". In there, one of the group uses a great dane as their main boar hunting dog.

(Courtesy of Google).....In 400 A.D., Asiatic tribes with enormous, mastiff-like dogs invaded Germany. Over the centuries, these dogs proved their mettle and toughness by fighting wild boars, bears and other large beasts. The Great Dane (originally called the Deutsche Dogge), evolved when these dogs were bred with other breeds like Irish Greyhounds. First displayed in Germany in the mid-1800s, the Great Dane was popularized in the U.S. after the Great Dane Club of America was founded in 1889.