• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Your rod setup for jigging walleyes!

mrth0201

TB Walleye Sweetheart

Abu Cardinal 300

Trilene Microice 6lb

Gold Buckshots/Red Buckshots mostly

St Croix Med

Shimano Sedona 500

Triline Microice 4lb

Slipbobber setup

I caught more fish on the slipbobber with a shiner than anything else.

Medium backbone rod, moderate action, not a "fast tip" design. I like a solid feel to the jig and a fast, firm hookset. Brand is not critical but for reference my favorite action is on my St. Croix PIR32M.

Reel is a "500" series (small but not tiny) spinning reel, again not brand specific but it needs to have a smooth drag. I also take my ice reels apart and replace the grease with low temp tip-up lube. They work much better in the cold that way. BTW I do most of my fishing out in the open and not in a shelter, so operation at cold temps is important to me.

For line I use 8 lb Power Pro or similar "no stretch" line, about 75' laid onto the spool over a mono backer fill, and I splice a 36" leader of 6lb fluorocarbon with a duolock snap to attach the lure. For lures on LOW start with gold/red colors.

TB Walleye Sweetheart

Abu Cardinal 300

Trilene Microice 6lb

Gold Buckshots/Red Buckshots mostly

I run almost the exact same for my favorite Walleye jigging setup. The only exception is I spool 6lb Flourocarbon on the Cardinal. I switch up lures quite a bit initially, until I zone in on whats working the best that day, but usually start with a buckshot or similar rattling spoon (Stop Signs are a LOW favorite, and they started making Rattlin' Stop Signs now also). A word of advice here...If it isn't broke don't fix it. Meaning if you're catching fish stick with that lure, I find myself trying to get "cute" sometimes and switching to catch MORE fish. 9 of 10 times I regret that move. Good luck to ya!

Depends on the lure size.

34" TB MH walleye sweetheart, 12 lb nanofill, 10 lb fluoro leader

28" TB M walleye sweetheart, 8 lb suffix 832 ice braid, 8 lb fluoro leader

28" TB perch sweetheart, 6 lb micro ice

All have sienna's 500's on them except for the perch sweetheart, which has a tica gv500.

What I was doing on red lake that worked good was use a buckshot or a spoon that rattles and if they just look at that have another rod ready with a slender spoon and drop that down they would hit that slender spoon a lot....I like my shimano 500 FD with 6lb vanish....I just use gander mtn rods....like their rods,but the reels are junk

30" DH Custom Rods Walleye Stinger with Recoil guides

Shimano Stradic Ci4 1000

Suffix 832 Ice Braid 4lb with 6lb PLine Fluoroice leader

Lindy Rattl'n Flyer Spoon

DSCN1547.jpg

I am liking that DH Custom rod. Have a bunch of their ice fishing rods and love them. As for jig, pretty much anything from JR's Tackle.