• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2002 Chevy Suburban

I have a 2002 Chevy Suburban, V8 with 101,000 miles on it. I bought it used, a little over 18 months ago with 85,000 miles on it. For the first year, I could go fully in between oil changes without needing to add oil. Starting this summer, I noticed I needed to add a quart in between oil changes and again this fall the same thing. Is this normal or is there something that I should do to get it fixed.

Thanks,

BHS

We have a 2004 suburban with 124,000. It started consuming oil about 10,000 miles ago. On our recent drive down to Ft. Sill OK and back I added two quarts.

We notice that it burns more after extended trips were we are pushing closer to 2000 rpms for hundreds of miles at a time. The next morning after such a trip it expels a pretty good sized plume of oil smoke for a short time when it is first started up. There is no perceptible oil smoke once it is warmed up a little. I think this is a pretty common finding with the chevy 5.3 motors. The truck still runs great, but I now have to carry extra quarts of oil on long trips, and check it about every other time I fill up with gas.

On the other hand the 4.7 V8 in my 2002 Toyota Tundra with about 120,000 miles gets a full synthetic oil (mobil 1) change every 7,500 miles and it does not require any additional oil between changes.

Very common in the early generation 5.3's. I have an 02 Avalanche with 113, 000. That burns a quart per 3000 or sometimes more if doing some towing. Keep it topped off and don't sweat it! It blows by the valve guides I think on start ups before all the aluminum parts in the engine warm up and expand to seal better. I notice puffs of smoke on cold starts quite often. Not so much after it has warmed up.