• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunting rubs

I was scouting today and found 2 big scrapes pretty close by that looked fresh. How much longer are bucks gonna tend to them? I dont have much time anymore to hunt, and I dont want to waste my time if bucks arent visiting their rubs this time of the year anymore.

Rubs and scrapes are two different things. Rubs are on trees, scrapes are on the ground.

Scrapes are used by deer year round. Obviously scrape use goes up during the rut, but that doesn't guarantee anything.

Rubs can sometimes give an idea of a trail, but they don't generally mean much other than deer are in the area. They happen during the rut and thats it.

Try to use the fresh sign that you are seeing to locate a travel corridor. Generally they should lead to or from food or bedding. Food at night or bedding in the morning. Think about how you plan to hunt and see if you can key in on those areas. If they aren't obvious, then try to find a spot on the trail and watch.

Rubs near a field were likely made at night so I wouldn't bother hunting over them. It does tell you there is a good buck in the area so putting yourself between him and a food source could pay off. There is also the 2nd rut this time of year, I've never had much luck but you could get lucky.

If that buck goes in shooting light near those rubs this time of the year he deserves what you're gonna give him, they appear old to me also somewhat, he aint beddin there so where you think he is get close as you can to it, use the wind and pray or realize you'll have a chance to have a monster in your area next fall.

If that buck goes in shooting light near those rubs this time of the year he deserves what you're gonna give him, they appear old to me also somewhat, he aint beddin there so where you think he is get close as you can to it, use the wind and pray or realize you'll have a chance to have a monster in your area next fall.

+1 --> Couldn't have given that advice any better

I'd definitely put a trailcam there either next fall or immediately and see what you catch and what time of the day you're catching them. The rubs aren't even the reason, you say 2 trails intersect there. What I gather from the rubs is they are not likely made by a 1.5 year old, it's at least a 2.5 or maybe a 3.5, anyway, good luck and also the further off the road you are maybe the better chance to catch him there but I'd, like cutting the angles down while pass shooting geese, cut his angles down by being downwind of where you think he'd stick his neck out of the thick stuff, I had to do that 3x meaning I moved my stand 3 times during rifle season before it happened, and I only did it when the wind would be in my favor and placed the ladder stand accordingly, if I wouldn't have been mobile I would be chewing a very waxy tag right now. I went from fairly thick, to really thick, to I can see 30 yards tops or less and have 1 alley to shoot in, sure I risked spooking him or others, I had to risk it, I bet his last thought was who is that guybang, he knew nothing of human odor in that rathole, no stand had ever in that swamps history been placed there, with todays pressure I did what I had to do to try and am happy it payed off this time, do what you have to do and hopefully you'll get a chance. Now's the time with a muzzy to try something different, chances are they know exactly where your stand is by now and your trail to it, get on a stump, watch 1 trail in deep, and hope he feels safe because he's never had a reason not to in that location plus other deer are acting not so scared there, then give him the reason with a thump.