• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I have nowhere else to complain, so I will do it here

frazwood

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna ask an off-topic question here for a second, but where is the best place to catch American eels in the metro, madcattom? I wanna try getting one this year (maybe eat it as well). Back on topic, I'm glad to see I'm not the only guy who loves rough fish too. They're a whole different beast from stocked game fish!

I love the beauty of all fish. To me, there are no rough fish, only fish. They may be called trash fish or under-utilized fish by some. I call em fricken sweet. Way more interesting than catching the same 2 lb bass all day long.

Right on brutha!

And the Sheepshead is a great eating fish too. Anything in the Drum family is pretty tasty actually. I would recommend smaller fish under 3 lbs from fairly clean water for eating. They fillet similar to large panfish. Deep fry them just like anything else. Be it would suprise some folks how good they are...

Gonna ask an off-topic question here for a second, but where is the best place to catch American eels in the metro, madcattom? I wanna try getting one this year (maybe eat it as well). Back on topic, I'm glad to see I'm not the only guy who loves rough fish too. They're a whole different beast from stocked game fish!

I don't think I'd keep an american eel just knowing what it's been through getting into MN waters.

If you haven't done any reading or browsing the web on these guys, I would. They're fascinating.

Edit** I did not mean for that first line to sound preachy... it kind of did. C'est la Vie. My bad.

I haven't kept any drum, but I probably will try one of em this year... I'd expect they taste like a little more flavorful crappie?

Well Slabasaurus, after reading up on the problems American eels face during migration and the possibility of overfishing, I've decided to stick with catch and release for these guys. What you posted about eels has truth to it. Taking one out of the equation could make things worse for them, so I'm going to do my part and help keep them alive. Besides, a coworker of mine told me that our employer sells canned eel, so that oughta give me enough incentive to let these guys mate.