• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Latest in AR platforms?

John, I myself have been eyeing the R-15. It's a nice gun, but I know little about them. Like the look and feel. Plus they get good reviews. I'd rather have a dou purpose AR and couldn't help myself after holding this gun a few times this week at Gander. Took it home today. Looking forward to seeing it perform. So ya I like your initial thought about the Rem R-15 VTR.

Man, just saw this thread ... Now the wheels are turning in my head, I may have to pick up a lower and get myself a winter project smile please update this thread with your build, maybe even create a build thread with pictures etc if you could .... I'd love to see the progress!! Good luck

As Requested, below are some pictures I took of my project.

The lower receiver is the only part that has to be transferred through an FFL holder. Everything else can be shipped directly. I did a Google search and found several within 3 miles of my house. He charged $20 to handle the transfer. The receiver itself was $99. The receiver, parts kit with six-position stock and shipping cost $214. So right now I have a complete lower AR-15 assembly for $234 (includes the FFL transfer fee).

I also found a Black Friday deal for a complete assembled upper assembly (minus BCG, charging handle, and rear sight) for $249 (original price was $349). I couldn’t build one that cheap! The upper assembly consists of:

• 5.56/.223 16-inch chrome moly vanadium barrel with 1:7 twist rate

• M4 barrel profile

Still waiting for the upper to ship. All I need to complete the build is:

• a bolt carrier group ($120)

• a charging handle ($20)

• a carry handle with rear sight ($30)

• a magazine ($14)

A lot of the parts are out of stock (BCG’s, carry handles, charging handles) but for approximately $700 I will have a fully functional, brand new AR-15. A lot cheaper than what you can buy one for.

full-9100-27410-ar_15002.jpg

Here are the parts as received.

full-9100-27411-ar_15005.jpg

Here are all the individual parts. Several springs and roll pins.

full-9100-27412-ar_15009.jpg

Lower receiver assembly completed.

full-9100-27413-ar_15010.jpg

Lower receiver with stock fully extended.

Congrats on the lower build!! Was this your first? Which upper did you go with?

One thing I've found VERY useful is the winter style trigger guard in place of the flat one standard with most LPK's. It's not really a "must have" part but if you ever use the rifle with gloves on, you'll enjoy the added finger room.

Some like the polycarbonate models but I'm found of the cast aluminum ones that match the finish of the lower receiver. These are about $20.00 and an easy mod.

None the less... Congrats on the build!!

This is my first build. I went with Palmetto again. The price was right, though the shipping is SLOW. I realize the whole supply and demand thing.

Right now I'm just trying to get a basic build. I don't see myself doing anything this winter as I just had a disc removed and my cervical spine fused for the second time in 2-1/2 years.

Right now I'm keeping my eye open for a bolt carrier assembly but none of the web sites have what I'm looking for. I just want a mil spec BCG, not fully chromed or any of the fancy coatings.

I never built one but I really like my Rock River Predator Pursuit that I just bought in October. It is my first AR and love it. I went with the 16 inch barrel and it is plenty accurate. I shot it at 300 yards hitting the target no problem. I did my research before I bought my AR and narrowed it down to a Rock or a DPMS. I liked the Rock better because it comes with a better trigger right out of the box and the winter trigger gaurd vs the DPMS. Rock River also has a Varmint and a Coyote special. I think the varmint has a heavier barrel than the Predator Pursuit and the Coyote special has a little different barrel than the Predator pursuit. Also the coyote special has a flash hider on the end of the barrel and a different stock than the Predator. I didnt need the added features on the coyote special and didnt wanna pay the extra money for it even though I think it looks "cooler" ha ha. The predator has what I like and it is lighter than the varmint and coyote. Not sure if your still looking for a gun or your building one. Just my opinions that I really like my Rock River Predator Pursuit.

If you haven't gotten any of the parts to do a build like this, your going to have a hard time finding any. I went to a couple places in Fargo today and both were completely sold out of modern sporting rifles and magazines. I'm told the lower is going to be the toughest to find right now since that is the part with the serial number.

If you haven't gotten any of the parts to do a build like this, your going to have a hard time finding any. I went to a couple places in Fargo today and both were completely sold out of modern sporting rifles and magazines. I'm told the lower is going to be the toughest to find right now since that is the part with the serial number.

Parts, or should I say affordable parts, were hard to find before the current events. I spent three weeks searching the internet everyday for a BCG assembly that wasn't 250 to 300 or 400 bucks. A standard mil-spec BCG assembly should sell for $110 to $120. I finally broke down and paid $149 for one and it is on backorder but it was one of the sites that would at least let you order one. Most sites won't, until they are in stock. Others will let you sign up for email notification but from what I have heard they sell out in minutes. This was all before the tragic event in Connecticut.