• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question about '97 EXT 580 motor

Big Dave2

Hi all you sledheads out there. I may have access to a '96 or '97 Arctic Cat EXT 580 motor from a crashed sled. I was thinking of trying to find a chassis that it would fit in. The sled was crashed back in '98 or '99. I have a few questions for all of you who are smarter than me(basically everyone).

#1. I was wondering what other kinds of chassis this motor would fit in (if any) besides the original EXT that it was in? I would really rather have a 2-up sled to put it in but I would take whatever I could get.

#2. What should I expect to have to pay for a chassis in half way decent shape? How much is the motor worth?

#3. Last but not least, does any one know where I could get such a chassis? Maybe someone has a sled with a burnt up motor just laying around. Would this Emerson be a good place to look? Is Emerson a name of a guy or a business?

Thank you for any help you can lend me.
Dave

There must be dozens closer but in Friday's Salt Lake Tribune there was a complete chassis for $500 OBO. Prices should be nearly the same in your region. That probably was everything needed except for the engine, clutches, pipe, etc. Watch out for the parts that will nickel and dime you to death when building sleds. Catch online auctions and see if there are any sleds with bad engines for sale or sell the engine to someone who needs one. Mine cost almost $1400 to rebuild the crank, replace a cylinder and get new pistons/rings when the Cat piston failed at high speed. I would have gladly paid half that for an engine that ran and replaced OEM pistons with Weisco units that will last. Well, I have them now.

Kevin

Big Dave,

Is the 580 motor you are looking at an EFI motor?

If it is, they have different stator's and timing angle sensors in them. You would need a complete chassis with an EFI wiring harness.

Other wise, You could stuff that hefty motor into a 95 prowler chassis. I have seen it done before. It with fit in all ZR chassis upto 1997, and pantera chassis, panther chassis most likely to 02. Most you would have to change out is the motor mounts. I.E. where they are located on the chassis. The clutch alignment on all the Cats are the same. its the center to center distance that is different. If you were to use a pantera,ZR,or a panther chassis 95 and newer. they would all use the same belt but different compound. 010 or 012 belt. the 020 belt is for newer ZR's, and ZL's its a mm wider.

Big Dave - I have a '97 EXT 580 EFI. Took a swim a couple of years ago. Seeing that that engine had over 7500 miles on it we opted for a rebuilt engine. Paid $800 for the engine and another $150 for a rebuilt clutch from a fellow named Turja in Virginia, MN. We were able to get used gauges from Mohawk Salvage in Hibbing. They have all kinds of used snowmobile parts. They may even have a chassis. We found that their prices were reasonable.

Good luck.

------------------
***Let it snow!***

Big Dave

I wish I had seen this earlier this fall, I pick up a 96 ext 580 this last year with a bad motor, and I did rebiuld it with weisco pistons, its true the 580 oem pistons had a prblem.

Question I'm now having trouble with my drive. are you interested in selling any of the drive parts off the crashed sled?

Barry