• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Little Missouri Grasslands

jdime

By the grace of God I got two deer this year with a bow. That means I can't hunt my normal spots for rifle season because they're either 1-deer or 2-deer zones now.

I am considering heading west to North Dakota to try for a mule deer with a rifle on public land, but it will be unchartered territory for me. Anyone live out that way or have experience going there? I'd love to hear some experiences as far as mule population and how many hunters to expect.

J

i am also heading to NE for the first time - not sure what area you are looking at, but we are hunting the platte zone. we did draw Muley tags - and i know they don't have anymore in that area, but believe you can buy over the counter in other areas or buy whitetail - ne also has a statewide that i believe is good for a mule deer.

good luck and post any results.

i am also heading to NE for the first time - not sure what area you are looking at, but we are hunting the platte zone. we did draw Muley tags - and i know they don't have anymore in that area, but believe you can buy over the counter in other areas or buy whitetail - ne also has a statewide that i believe is good for a mule deer.

good luck and post any results.

I hunt NE and have a couple of tags for this season as well. We are in the midst of a terrable EHD outbreak that has really taken it's toll on our deer herd. My deer cam pics late summer through now are pittiful compared to last season and I have yet to capture a mature buck on the sd cards. My uncle just finished the harvest and he found more dead deer in the corn fields this season than in the 50 plus years prior. If there is any bright side to this we still plan on shooting does and try like heck to get the deer herd as close to a 1 to 2 or 1 to 1 ratio buck to doe as we can (on the home place anyway). Best of luck where ever you go and one bright side is that the 15 degree temps we had for lows last weekend should have killed all of the insect midges that carry that dreaded desease.

I am trying NE for the first time this year as well so I can't offer any advice. I am going with the muzzle loader to try and avoid the crowds. I will be hunting public land so lower hunter numbers appeal to me even if there are fewer deer. It has been getting harder to draw tags in the places i have hunted in the past so I am increasing my options. I have always been willing to try somewhere new as long as I can find a decent place to hunt. Exploring new territory beats sitting at home.

So I just re-checked this post after being busy for a week. I need to look more closely at these states. I think it'd be a blast to go to Nebraska for muleys. Perhaps I will start looking for private land connections.

I started looking at WI for huntig firearm and man is it intimidating to have to learn another state's regs.

I've got a question C&H. Are these Midges that carry the EHD disease native bugs, or are they another imported invasive pest? Also are they spreading and could they come to MN?

I am not a game biologist but you can check out this link from the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission.