• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

5+lbs. of mystery rock...opinions please.

Found this (approx) 5lb/9oz. mystery rock yesterday. Would love to hear opinions on

what you think it is? How you would cut it if it was yours? What do you think that value

of something like this is? Now, I have an idea of what it is, but I'm not going to say, in

order to not skew any opinions offered. I also think I know how I would like to cut it, but

am interested in other's thoughts. I have no idea what something like this might be worth.

The rock surface is uniform on both sides, so there is no point in showing the other side.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards,

rock-1.jpg

rock2.jpg

Nice! I agree, It looks to be a very large Moss Agate! Best bet it to cut it in half, or cut an end off. Could be solid moss with no banding; could be moss outer husk and just quartz inside, or it could be an outside of moss and nice banding inside. Gotta love the mystery. Let us know what u do.

Get a professional to cut it into an icosahedron, polished sides, and numbers 1-20 chiseled into the sides.

Sell it at a comic convention as the most expensive 20 sided die ever.

I am pretty sure I could find about 10 people who would want one of those. And that's just by looking through the contacts on my cell phone.

Thanks for the great feedback.

I took it to a local agate shop and asked their opinion....

The employee said moss agate for sure...estimated value $250.00+...DON'T cut it....but I still really want to just to see what's inside. They said, most likely no banding inside, just a continuation of what can be seen on the outside. They weighed it at the shop and it came in

at 5lbs 15oz, so almost six pounds....They said it's a "once in a lifer"....I'm too young to agree

with that smile