• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

well pressure tank and pump ??

coonchaser

Ok, my well pump does not shut off, it gets close but does not shut off, it does not seem to build the pressure required to shut it off, but then again does not shut off it if pump air in either, My question is this, can i turn down my pressure switch or install alower one that would shut off sooner etc...thanks

Did it use to shut off? Is this something new? Broke bladders in the air tank usually cause short cycling of the pump where it will quickly turn on and off. My guess is either a hole in the piping or worn pump that can not build up the pressure any more. How old is the pump and what type?

You can turn down the pressure switch. Typically if you take off the cover there is a nut to turn that pushes on a spring. If you back the nut out a little it will shut off sooner.

If this is the classic shallow well pump, sounds like it is worn out. Does it pump a reasonable amount of water?

If it is a submersible pump, it most likely is a hole in the pipe from the pump up the well, although it could be worn out also.

Replacing the shallow well pump is straight forward, and you can buy pumps many places.

You can turn down the pressure switch. Typically if you take off the cover there is a nut to turn that pushes on a spring. If you back the nut out a little it will shut off sooner.

If you do this make sure the power is off. It is very easy to slip and energize yourself with 110 or 220 volts. 2c

If you turn a fixture on and the pump turns on and runs a short time after that fixture is shut off normally it is your pressure tank. I would suggest shutting the pump off and draining down the pressure at a fixture then checking the pressure in the tank. It should be 2 pounds less the the low or cut in pressure of the pressure switch. For a 30 to 40 switch set it at 28 pounds and a 40 to 60 set it at 38 pounds.

did you get this resolved? is it a submersible or jet pump? if a pump isnt shutting off it could be the pump end is wearing out. great way to add 20-30 bucks a month to your power bill. you could also have a leak in the line somewhere. best way to tell is to shut water off to house and then shut off the power. if the gauge holds then you should be ok. i say should becasue its possible there is a check valve by the tank too. not the norm in submersible systems. if the pressure does drop you have a leak somewhere in the system.

if a jet pump do like some have already siad, drop the pressure by loosening the spring.