• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tree stands?

mainbutter

Mainbutter

I have a deal for you.

I have a hand climber if you would like it. Nothing wrong with the stand.

I use to use it but it is for people who are in better shape than me and are not overweight as I.

Just too hard for me to use it anymore and it's yours for the askin.

You use your arm strength when you pull the bottom platform up with your feet instead of sitting on your bottom. Yes, it is a bit harder unless you are in good shape and have good arm strength. Stand is in very good shape.

Great offer Tom!

I have a hang on stand that I leave in the woods all season. I usually try to remember to take it down sometime in January. I have a couple blinds I leave out all season as well. I also have a ladder stand, that gets set out all season. 2 years ago I sold my climbers because between permanent stands, and the others, I really seen no need for a climber. Now I wish I would have atleast kept one. The best time of year to find one cheap, is December-January.

But you wont find a better deal then what Tom is offering!

PM sent, really REALLY nice offer!

I guess another topic I hadn't considered yet.. How do you adjust shooting an arrow when elevation is involved? "20 feet" is a pretty typical height I hear about people sitting in a tree, seems like it could add some distance to a shot, but the force vector of gravity is no longer perpendicular to the velocity vector.

Most articles you read or pro shops will tell you that you will shoot high in an elavated stand. Thats why companies make a pendulum sight for a bow.

One can go online or google high angled archery shot and lots to read with good info.

Another thought difference is whether one is shooting a newer or older bow due to speed of the bow. Proper shooting form will also play into a shot that is off at higher heights.

The best way to find this out is to sight your bow in on the ground and then climb up to your stand height and shoot at a target. Take a few shots as one could have been a poor shot and it takes and average to find out where you are hitting.

Alot of practice and knowing ones bow and shooting will show one where they need to aim if very high at a short angle in a tree.

How do I adjust for a high angle shot? I have found for me, the best product to fix the angle shot is to use a pendulum sight. This sight swings forward for the pin and adjusts your line of fire depending on how far you tilt your bow. Works great.

I use this sight in stand hunting only and go to a 3 or 5 pin if I am going to be hunting in an open area where I may take a flat shot on the ground like out west.

When I lived in the country, I would set up a target and then crawl up on the roof of the shed about the same height as my stand and practice, adjusting my sight pin at that height.

With some of these newer bows and proper shooting form, you should not have to adjust much at all unless you are 25ft up and the deer is very close to the tree. Then one could hit only 1 lung like I did the other day and have a long tracking job.

That is a great question to ask as some will get up in a stand and then shoot high and get a poor hit.

mainbutter, iffen your in the area to pick up that stand from Tom, let me know when, and I will take you up to my local range, and you can shoot from an elevated stand, and see how it works first hand. I only live 15 minutes from Tom.

Hey all,

I realize I am a little late to the party but thought I would weigh in. I have been reading for years and finally got an account.

In my neck of the woods (S MN) using a climber isn't practical most of the time. I would rather pick a spot based on sign than based on a perfect climbing tree. I personally use all three varieties that you mentioned. To me the most versatile is something similar to the Lone wolf alpha with climbing sticks. Light enough to pack in, can be hung in less than 10 minutes, and can be placed in just about any tree.

Also if you do go with permanent hang on stands buy the climbing sticks from menards at the end of the season.(they really discount them) I bought four sets last years pretty cheap.

Hope that helps.

Jason

Well I got up in a climbing stand for the first time in my life today, and boy was it a thrill! Practiced up and down for a good 20 minutes or so, felt comfortable and took it up to 15 feet or so to enjoy a great view. I had some company just in case there was an accident, which I'm glad there wasn't laugh

Now the obvious goal is to be able to sit up in a tree and take some shots with my bow safely. I'd love some input on actually making a shot.

My issue at the moment is simply nerves. I don't consider myself as having a fear of heights, and when I get situated and face away from the tree, I'm comfortable. When I stand up and have my hands keeping contact with the arm rests on the upper unit, I'm comfortable. As soon as I let go, my nerves get the better of me.

How do you guys make your shots out of your tree stands? The one I'm borrowing has a front bar, and I'm not expecting to be able to shoot sitting down because of it. I haven't had the bow up there yet (will likely try to shoot my target this weekend after some more climbing practice) to know for sure if I can find a position to shoot while sitting, but let's assume I'll have to stand.

How do you guys shoot while standing from a tree stand? Do you just do it? I understand keeping my upper body form exactly the same as when I'm shooting on the ground (bending at the waist for aiming down), but gee do my nerves get me.

In case this wasn't clear, I AM using a brand new safety harness. Do any of you use the harness to give yourselves an "anchored" feeling in the upper body by keeping a short enough leash than when you take a shot, the tether is tight?

Do you just force yourself to do it, stand up, bend at the waist, and take a shot? I know I'm not the only one who has this problem, particularly when starting out.

I think the new feeling of the small platform, combined with openness and height, may be an interesting challenge to conquer.

Please share any tips for shooting safely, comfortable, and SAFELY!

i personally use a ratchet strap on the top section of the climber and ratchet it to the tree so its super stable then I obviously have my harness on with the tether loose enough for me sit down but not much play. I have the seat in the highest position (summit viper) so when i stand up the front bar is just above my knees.

I can scootch forward in the seat hang my arms out and shoot sitting down. Or i stand up when i see something coming and use my legs as an anchor against my top piece that is ratcheted to the tree. You just need to find a tree and practice standing up moving around to take the opposite angle shot.

as far as heights go's it scares me so I make sure im harnessed in and take my time when i make moves. if i stand up i usually hold on to the tether or the tree with one hand to look around.

hopefully something i wrote makes sense

The only advice I can give is try setting your harness so you can feel it pulling on you a little bit when you move away from the tree and spend some time in it just standing still and turning slowly until you start to feel comfortable. I'm guessing that it's like a lot of things and the more you do it the more comfortable you will get. But I guess I've never had much of a problem with it so I may not be too much help. As far as shooting while sitting make sure the seat is adjusted as far up as you can get and see if you can clear the bar.

i try and make sure my best shots are on my left as i am right handed. if i can stay seated i will. if not, i usually forget about heights when i see a deer, i do not like heights at all. try and position yourself so ypu can take your best shots while seated. the biggest buck i have ever seen in the woods skylined me because i stood up. if i had stayed seated, he probably never would have busted me.

I used to frame roofs in residential construction. Heights don't bother me until the height moves. Windy nights I dont climb as high.

Other then that, it will take some getting used to. I do try to feel the stand the sides of my legs to keep some kind of contact with my stand other than my feet

If you are properly wearing the harness (barely snug when sitting), YOU CAN NOT FALL. Then practice so you feel comfortable. I would lean against the shooting rail at thigh or waist hight and see "what you can get away with" before the stand moves. My biggest issue with the sit&climbs is bumping the top section when standing up. If that happens the top might fall and make NOISE, but you still won't fall.

Maybe if your're really scared you should step off the climber (with the rope tight) about 4 feet off the ground and feel the support of the harness.

If you do fall you have to know how to "self rescue". I've been guilty of not carrying my rescue strap last year.

Per ladder stands, I bought a couple of rivers edge pack and stack ladder stands at the farm for $60 a piece. I like them and 13' up is high enough for me if the tree has good cover. They weigh 33 pounds I think, which is not feather light but OK for a short pack in and to move around by yourself. I know guys say a ladders no safer than a hang-on, but I just prefer putting them up. Almost all my spots are permanent or I would try a climber but I like my ladders and blinds, the ladder of which can often be a better option than a stand given the terrain.

I like to have the tether a little bit taut when I am sitting. This seems to allow me to have enough slack to turn around lean out a bit etc when I am standing. Figure out what height you are comfortable at, and stay below that. Also make sure you put a rope between the top and bottom of the climber at least until you get proficient with climbing. It isnt a comfortable feeling hanging there on just the top section. Also figure out how far from your climber top section you need to place your harness strap on the tree. In the past I have put it too low and when I went to stand up I was stuck at the end of the rope not able to stand up. So always stand up and draw your bow when you get everything set up to make sure you are good to go before a deer is standing there.

Good luck

Jason

I would put your stand 2 feet off the ground and parctice shooting, standing leaning out to test your harness to see how far you can lean over without falling or tipping. It will be the same when you're 20' up, so get used to it 2' off the ground! 2c

If you hunt out of a certain tree alot and use your climber, or any type of treestand, I would attach a 3/8" thick or thicker rope to the place you would put your safety harness where it attaches to the tree.

Then put a Prussic knot to that rope to use as your safety harness while in the treestand and going up and down! Works real slick and saves alot of time while climbing!

Best life-line for treestand hunting! 2c

I shoot from both a sitting and standing position in my hang on and ladder stands, depends on the way the deer comes in. I've actually found that I'm a very accurate shot from a sitting position but I've practiced it quite a bit. With a climber, it's a standing shot only because of the front bar. I have wrapped camo tape around my bar to soften any noises that I might make from hitting my bow on it as well.

The answer to becoming comfortable and good at it, is practice. Set it up somewhere where you can shoot out of it at a target and you'll learn. The biggest issue (IMO), is remembering to bend at the waist and not to drop your bow arm.

As far as getting comfortable on the stand - i.e. going from sitting to standing/shooting.. that's simply a matter of time and setting your safety strap up in a manner in which you are comfortable. I can't "feel" my safety strap when it's on but I know I have a very scared feeling if I don't hook it up right away... just peace of mind. I also go through a routine when I get up in the tree to hunt. After I'm all set up, I sit down and imagine a deer coming in from just about every angle. I practice grabbing my bow and getting situated for the shot and drawing. It reminds me how to properly get situated for a shot if I have to turn around for example, or get my bow between the two trees my stand is in.