• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tree stands?

mainbutter

So I've been thinking more and more about tree stands lately.

I have one permanent tree stand I'm able to hunt out of, and other than that I'm left to hunting on the ground.

Since tree stands seem to be an essential part of chasing deer in MN, and particularly for bow-hunting, I'd like to get to know more about them.

Can anyone point me to one or two good resources for reading up on tree stands? I've been hitting google and the entire subject just feels a little bit overwhelming.

If you had to suggest ONE tree stand to a new hunter with a very tight wallet, what would you recommend?

If you had to suggest ONE tree stand a new hunter might put on a christmas wish list, what would you recommend?

If it makes a difference, I'm only moderately in shape, 5'7'' and 170lbs. I'm not sure if different kinds of stands work better for different body sizes.

I'm a new bowhunter, and new to climbing stands. So no pro here... but I got a Summit Viper last year, and was amazed at how easy it is to use. I am a fat guy, mid-40's, so not in "ideal" shape, haha! Still easy to climb, easy to setup, very comfortable, and easy to climb down.

Not too bad to pack in, though I don't go too far, yet. If I change anything, it likely will be an easier to use/put on safety harness. I am just using the one that came with the stand, and while it works, it is not as easy to put on as a "vest style" seems to be.

I got it on sale last year with cab. special and cost me about $160 if I recall. Was good sale... it is not the SD model, but came with soome of the extras, maybe the supreme or elite or something like that. Maybe team realtree?... can't recall.

The feedback I get from friends and family new to bow hunting that I take out is that they all would rather use the climber tree stand, specifically the Summit Viper (~$200-300), over the hang-on tree stands I have. While a hang-on is more versatile, it can be a bit difficult for beginners to climb up a tree, keep balance and attach the tree stand to the tree (even with a lineman's rope). I also think most beginners like the comfort and security (subjective) of the climber rails on sit & climb climbers over the openness of hang-ons.

Personally, I use a Lone Wolf climber 80% of the time and a cheap Gorilla hang-on with Lone Wolf ladders.

I have used and owned the Summits and the LOne Wolf climbers.

I will say the Lone Wolf for me is the best stand made but the downside is that they do cost a bit more than most others.

I have used some Summits and when I would stand to shoot, I would get a creek in the stand. Nothing a can of spray would not fix if sprayed into the channel of the tubing. But with my Lone Wolf, no need as it is super comfy and quiet. With that said, the new ones could be great stands as I have not used a Summit for many years.

I do have another climber that cost me approx $125 and it really is a nice climber but I forget the name of it.

Some will tell others that a climber will not work in thier area due to the trees. I have found very few trees that a climber will not work in except the oaks and pine trees.

I have been a deer hunter for a long time and always had cheap hang-on stands with tree spikes. A few years ago I bought a Summit Ultimate Viper from the "C" store and I absolutely fell in love with it. It is easy to attach to the tree and quiet if you practice and take it slow with the climbing. It weighs in at 30# with my side packs on it and my gear in them and also a Molle II backpack system to pack it in. It is a bit heavy but the comfort and ease of use is well worth it.

That being said I also still use my cheap stands at my permanent spots that I go to every year and bowhunt. It is nice to be able to just go, climb up and be ready to shoot in a couple minutes rather then messing with setting up the climber etc etc. It really depends on how you want to hunt. Wanna try new places alot or move alot...I would go with a climber. My 2 cents....

I use to use screw in tree pegs. They worked ok but they are a bit hard to screw in. I do not believe one can use these on state land though. Nice thing is, when u leave pull out the bottom 3 or so and that way, someone needs steps or a ladder to steal them.

Another avenue is a ladder stand. I prefer these much more over a tree peg but hard to leave the ladder stand on public property as someone may steal it.

Really sad one cannot leave stands on public or private property and not worry that they will be there when u return.

Always a few who make it a pain for the rest.

If money is that tight, I would opt for a good set of LIGHT climbing steps and whatever kind of hang on stand you can afford.

Personally I would spend the $300 or so and get the smallest cheapest lone wolf hang on and a 3 pack of sticks.

I just happen to get a real good deal on one of the bigger lone wolf stands otherwise I would of got the smallest one. I also use 4 sticks.

I would use this set up all the time if I didn't all private, but this is my quick quiet setup for either moving in on a buck checking new spots.

If you are serious about quick and quiet you won't be sorry.

To help hauling a climbing tree stand in I have modified both with US Army back straps and hip buckle ? i don't know the correct name but essentially I have a real back back with the weight supported by my hips. Makes it nice to haul in and out a long ways. You can find these on an online auction site. cheap way to make hauling quite and convenient

as far as stands I have 3 types these have been acquired over the years so its no feasible to go buy them all at once . The first thing to do is to buy a great harness that you feel good in. the ones that come with the stands are good if your tight on money but there not the easiest and most comfortable. With any stand the harness is the first thing you take care of. Not worth becoming a statistic

Climbing stands:

old summit climber and a new summit climber bot are nice a bit noisy to set up but once you get used to them its quick. You need to have a straight tree but once your up and have it ratchet straped to the tree it feels safe and secure.

Ladder sticks that you assemble and strap to the tree with normal strap on tree stands. In my opinion the 40 dollar stands are just to small for me to feel comfortable to stand up and shoot both directions i like all the room i can get. make sure the seat pad is nice that way your balls wont go numb after hours.

Ladder stands that you lean against the tree.

I have 3 of these from 16-18 feet all around 100-120 bucks these are the easiest to get in and out of really quite and feel the most stable. you can put them on most trees but are also the heaviest to lug around.

Look for used ones if you own the land you can build perms. or make nice tree platforms but after a couple seasons who knows whats safe and whats not.

A question:

How do YOU climb trees to get yourself into a cheap stand you leave at a permanent spot? Comparison between the different ways and tools to get yourself UP?

You keep the climbing sticks or screw-in steps on the tree.

Also a good idea to attach a safety rope at the top with a purissic knot so you're always tied in.

My advice?

Get the Summit Openshot. 14 pounds and it allows multiple options (with one stand) for different properties and wind directions.

Just bought the Summit Realtree Outfitters Series Bushmaster climber this last weekend. Same as the Openshot as far as I could tell except the Bushmaster has a slightly bigger platform, different seat, and weighs in at 3 lbs more than the Openshot (Bushmaster 18 lbs vs Openshot 15 lbs). I haven't really used it out hunting yet but just using it around the yard I really like it so far.

Although I'm a little younger (21) and more limber then the rest of these old farts on here grin I still think it is incredibly easy to use

I too was in for my first portable stand purchase and made it today. I have hunted out of permanent stands we rifle hunt and the deer are always looking up into them. I guess if I had been getting shot at out of the same stands for 50+ years I would start looking up too.. grin Ended up getting the Summit Viper Classic. With shipping it was a little over $160. Seemed by the time I got climbing sticks, hang on stand, etc, I might as well just get the climber.

I recommend doing it right the first time. I bought a gorilla climber last fall. I really liked it. After finding a great deal on a lone wolf sit n climb, I can't believe I didn't get one sooner. Lighter and much quieter. And as of now lone wolf its made in the USA. The gorilla worked, I shot deer from it, and would recommend one. Look around on the "list" should be able to find something on there

If you can leave them out there, I would get a ladder stand. If its public land, I would look at a climber for getting off the ground and into the air. In SEMN, it can very tough to find a good tree, in a good location for a climber. I have a climber and rarely use it as oak and maple trees are harder to get climbers in. However, I have used it in a pinch or if I've had to make a quick move to a new location. I hate the open air hang on stands, I don't like heights, I definitely don't like looking down and seeing the only thing holding me up is two small cables. I like the ladder, they are solid, feel safe, quiet, and can be as nice and comfortable, or as cheap and basic as you want them to be. You can sometimes find them on sale after the season for as little as $45 dollars. They are not great stands, but they get the job done. I generally put my more comfortable stands in areas that I know I'll sit the longest, and the more basic stands in areas where I won't want to sit all day.

Lots of good information here. I own and hunt out of all 3 types and they all seem to have their place and time. My hang on ones are for my tried and trusted spots and I leave them up all year. My climber is for a time when I may want to move a bit and explore and am not ready to do a whole hang on setup. It's an awesome stand for an all-day hunt because they are very comfortable. I am not a ladder stand fan but I do use one in a tree that's too large in diameter for any other type.

Here's my suggestion... only go with a climber if you are sure you want to do the effort of carrying in the stand and climbing each time you hunt. They are great for flexibility and are very comfortable but there's a lot of work involved in carrying it in each time and getting setup. If you're concerned about that aspect at all, start with a hang on and work towards a climber as that wish list item. They are a great item to have in your arsenal but I really like having hang on stands that I can pop into quickly.

As far as hang on stands go. If at all possible, get your hands on some before buying. A lot of stores show them hanging on posts and such and it will give you an idea of how they work. I personally think that Rivers Edge makes some decent stands for reasonable prices but pretty simple logic here, don't buy the cheapest one out there and if you're being cost conscious, stay middle of the road price wise.

Ladder sticks are the only way to go to get into hang on stands IMO. Again, try to get a look at how they work as I've had some that have straps that are not easy to tighten down.

No matter what.. get a good safety harness/vest!!!

Guess that makes sense.. lol

While I'm at it of asking for what to look for, I guess I forgot to ask:

What tree stands, brands, etc would you say STAY AWAY FROM?

At the moment I think I'm pretty interested in a climbing stand, perhaps not for this season bot certainly for future seasons.

I guess I can't really think of anything I'd recommend you stay away from. Granted I'm not that picky. I have 2 or 3 of the cheap hang on stands. It seems like I might have gotten one for $30. I like them just fine, but I don't have a problem using a really little platform. I've bow hunted so much, that I know to just shuffle my feet & not really take steps.

The one thing I'd stay away from in a climber is one with a solid bar in front on the seat half, that you can't swing out of the way. Again that will depend some on how long your legs are. I'm a long legged 6'1" & the one I have like that I'm always banging my knees on. I've taped pipe insulation on it, which helped, but banging them on padded steel is still "padded steel"...

What tree stands, brands, etc would you say STAY AWAY FROM?

Doubt you'll get much response on that question.

Not many are TERRIBLE, but I'm sure there are some out there. It's more about what type of property do you hunt and what your needs are more than what product is good or bad.