• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Removing Mercury lower unit to replace impeller

BartmanMN

I am trying to remove my lower unit on a 2003 Optimax 135. I have remove the 3 nuts on the transom side of the motor, 2 underneath in the back and the one for the anode fin. Pictures attached. After this to you just need to tap hardly on the flat part on the rear to get the lower unit to separate? It doesn't seem to want to drop down.

full-18186-24417-photo(6).jpg

full-18186-24418-photo(7).jpg

full-18186-24419-photo(8).jpg

I use to change my impeller all the time myself until I ran into an issue.

2008 Mer 50hp 4 stroke.

The last time I changed it, for some reason I had a hard time geting the shift rod back in place.

Once put together, it did not shift correctly.

Well, instead of ending up messing with it for hours, I hauled it to the Merc dealer. They had it back together and shifting in no time at all.

here was the problem, when I slid the rod back up the motor, there is a fitting or part, I forget the name but a corner of it broke but it still went together fine.

The Merc dealer called me and said I could run it that way or they could repair it. The part was cheap but they had to pull the power head. Long story short, about 250 to fix it.

I had replaced the impeller numerous times and never had any issues as they explained to me how to get the shifter hooked up correctly.

This last spring it was a pain and I ended up doing some damage so be careful when you slide the shift rod back up into place, or it will or may cost you on a motor like mine.

I do like to think I can fix about anything but not this time.

Over the years I am sure I am money ahead by doing this myself versus the one time fee of 250 to reair the gamage I did to the motor.

Note to self, be very careful doing work on the motor when one is not a outboard mech.