• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spirit Lake/West Okoboji Fishing reports by Paul’s Fishing Guide Service

Thanks. Stayed at Sandbar in July and liked it a lot. "Liked it a lot" would be "loved it" if they would of had power running to the boat hoists. Got to know the lake a little. Will poke around some more as to lodging. The overall shallowness of East O. Intrigues me as to early season possibilities.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. Went to the DNR web site and looked at the two Okoboji's. The reports have East being nearly pathetic for LMB and SMB while West looked very promising. I like the relative shallowness of East early in the year but those netting numbers (2012 for East and 2008 for West) have me wondering. What are your opinions? I did find a place on East with a dock and power. Should I be looking for someplace on West instead? Thanks guys.

I'm no local and have very limited knowledge of the bodies of water. I was there 3 weeks ago and there was not a soul on the East. I talked to the bait shop guy and my guide, that has the experience in the area, and they said it was shallow all the way thru, weedy and dirty water. Ruff fish haven I guess. I spoke to some locals on the ice and they called West O the Riviera of Iowa. I'm quite certain locals have a far better answer for you.

I did not ask about Spirit either.

Looking at a couple of sites extended forecasts and it does not look good. A couple of days in the low 40's next week and then back below 32 for a LONG stretch of days. I believe you will be correct in your assumption Esox. Maybe I will just shoot for next year...or October. How is the fall fishing down there? Temps a lot warmer than up here that time of year.

I'm thinking mid Sept.-early Oct. Avg. high/lows there vs. where I go for my fall trip is a six degree warmer average high (74 vs 68 on 9/15 and 65 vs 59 on 10/5) with a 4.6 degree warmer mean temp 61 vs 57 on 9/15 and 53 vs. 48 on 10/5). Might not look like much but I'd rather take a chance on having it 74 than 68 or 65 than 59.

In April though I like the fact that at any given time down there it will be 8-10 degrees warmer than where I live with an average high differential of 13 degrees (61 is A LOT better than 48 on 4/20).

Man, this April thing is looking better and better each day. Well, maybe next year (unless there's a nice March down there).

Man, this weather is NOT helping with my April dream shot. I was hoping to get down there and blow big bucks at Godfather's and Hy-vee. Speaking of GF's (used to have one in my hometown and ate at the one in SL last summer), who has the best non-chain pizza in SL? Just wondering. Is there anyone in town with a decent deep dish? Not looking for Malnati's or Uno's grade, just good deep-dish. Thanks.

Next 14 days at SL show highs in the 20's one day, 30's four days, 40's three days, and 50's six days. Nowhere on that forecast are the lows above freezing. How late do you guess ice-out on Spirit/the 'bojis will be? Ice-out up here is usually 3rd weekend in April. I'm thinking that you guys will be open the 2nd weekend.

Was over there a week or two ago during that slight warmup. Didn't wanna risk driving around the heave at hale's so fished emersons and millers.... A couple gills a day a couple decent crappies and some dink perch got cutoff by a muskie too. Was pretty slow. Probably gonna head over sometime next week with the wheeler and hit anglers hard. Hopefully make it thru the ice witout an extension. Was close last time.