• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spirit Lake/West Okoboji Fishing reports by Paul’s Fishing Guide Service

What are you guys thinking as far as ice-out? Still going with mid-April? 15 day forecast shows highs running the gammut from mid-30's to mid 50's. Only three nights with lows above freezing. Rain toward end of month. Still contemplating a run-down if ice goes out around tax-time I could hit it later in the week of the 27th. It is not looking like NW WI will have open water for their opener on 5/3. MN will be real iffy, especially in the NE for 5/10.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i drove out yesterday but the days of doing that are coming to an end most are using quads or walking. the ice was pretty soft but still plenty of it. should have fishable ice for another 10 days pretty easy unless we get more consistent warm weather and wind.

That's tempting but I think I will plan for next year and hope for a more "normal" ice out of late March (I'll be able to save more money to spend at Godfather's). Maybe catch a break and get a "make-up" year and have it go out in mid-march. Maybe I will come down in Sept. for a little warmer (for me) fall fishing.

Fished down there Friday and Saturday. Saw lots of small male bass in the backwater channels of West Okoboji, biggest I caught was only 16'' though. Main lake water temps were still in the 40's, Channels were low to mid 50's. Saturday was much windier so we stuck to Upper Gar and Minnewashta. Water temps were as high as 55 in some areas but I couldn't find any bass, Fished Rip rap, bridges, docks, logs, channels, flats. Left early Sunday due to thunderstorms coming in.

I will be down there for my annual week of chasing from May 3-10. Depending on how the day bite for eyes is this year (mostly night bite last year), I plan on chasing some smallies and panfish. What baits would you suggest for smallies Craigums? I usually catch some while fishing for eyes pulling cranks or jigs.

Beats me brother. I struggled out there and it was my first time on the lake. Conventional wisdom would say jerkbaits and tubes would be your best bet with the water temps this low, as the temps start to rise and the smallies begin chasing baits I'd throw a grub into the mix

Got there Friday afternoon, didn't think there was a big turn out but Saturday lakes were packed. Fished Friday midnight to 0400 and caught 3 slot fish. Saturday night fished till 0130 Sunday and only caught a small Musky.

Tough bite. We had 3 in the boat both nights around a dozen slots both nights. 1 keeper on Saturday morn 3 keepers Saturday night. Fished till dawn Saturday 2am Sunday. Would have stayed longer but a battery decided to die so cut our nite short... Also boated 2 silver pike 4 northern and a smallie...

I fished Spirit Sat morning and caught a nice smallie. Fished East sat eve and only caught a bull head....lol. Are you getting them pulling cranks Essox? Im staying at West Oaks for the week so I will find some eventually.