• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spirit Lake/West Okoboji Fishing reports by Paul’s Fishing Guide Service

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a nice cold front coming in on Saturday. If anyone wants to try and get out on some early ice. Please Be Safe! Make sure to take a floatation device and let somebody know where you are going. West O. is going to be great this winter and I'm looking forward to finding a few Perch.

Bites been off and on, nothing real consistant.... So far I have yet to drill a hole on Spirit or West this season.....Just havent gotten many good reports from my friends that have been on either, hope to change that this week and hopefully can find a few willing fish....

Fishing on Spirit is spotty. It is what it is. If your on the right spot you could pick up 6 to 10 and if your not you might only get one or two maybe even skunked. Puppet minnows tipped with a minnow head have good. I've also been running the Blade Spoon. Glow Red. 18fow has been best for me.

Wow the bite is not good. I sure hope things turn around soon. The best area for gills has been Emersons bay. People have been catching some perch out deep I don't recommend doing that because every fish you bring to the top is dead. I've fished those fish in the past and no matter how slow you bring them up they still blow there air bags. The walleyes are the most depressing 17 to 22 inch fish caught out deep will die and they have to be released because of the slot. I've fished out deep with a camera and that's about the only way to control what you catch. I did hear that silver lake (Lake Park) has been kicking out a few Walleyes.

Hey everybody, I am contemplating a return trip to Spirit Lake but I want to do it early in the year That being said, what is the "average" ice-out date for Spirit? I know it can vary a lot, but was just wondering what it has been the past few years. Thanks.

No place on Spirit Lake itself? We stayed at Sandbar last summer. Their rates say they are open 5/1. Seeing how East Okoboji is smaller, relatively shallow, and narrower than Spirit, does it open up sooner perchance? Thanks again.

Thanks. Not worried about the opener. WI opener is the same weekend (in-laws cabin less than an hour from my house). I'm just looking for someplace to go bass fishing early in the year without traveling a gazillion hours (i.e. the Ozarks). Is holding off for two weeks going to kill me? Probably not. Would it be nice to get out a few times beforehand? Yes, yes it would.

Kabele's web site states they are across the street from the north end of East Okoboji. Does that mean that there is a public street between the place and my boat? I'm kind of partial to having the resort being the buffer between a public street/road/highway and the dock.