• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Water Supply Shut Offs

Dave

OK, you guys always seem to have the answers so, got a question for ya.

I plumbed by cabin with PEX. I'm looking for water supply shutoff valves (kitchen sink, bath vanity and toilet) with 1/2" PEX inlet and 3/8" outlet that has a drain port, for winterizing. Having a tough time locating such valves. Am I looking for something that's not available? Thanks.

It would be better to put drain valves at the lowest point in the system. That way you can shut off the water, open the drain valves, then go around and turn on all the faucets around the house to allow the water to completely drain.

I'm missing something here. Why would you need a drain port on the valves when all you have to do is open the faucets and drain them that way? I guess that I would figure out a way to hook a compressor up to the system and blow out the last bit of water that would sit at any point lower than the last faucet. I would also guess that the water heater is the lowest point in the system. What would happen if there were a few inches of water left in the heater over the winter?

I'm missing something here. Why would you need a drain port on the valves when all you have to do is open the faucets and drain them that way? I guess that I would figure out a way to hook a compressor up to the system and blow out the last bit of water that would sit at any point lower than the last faucet. I would also guess that the water heater is the lowest point in the system. What would happen if there were a few inches of water left in the heater over the winter?

All faucets and water heater are on the same floor. If I have drain ports on the shutoff valves, there should be no need for a compressor, if I'm thinking right, it'll all be gravity drained. Does a water heater drain completely using the drain valve on it?

But if you open all the faucets and leave them open you probably are going to have maybe 15 inches of water left in them. I guess I don't see that as a problem since there is going to be plenty of room for the water to expand without causing damage. Same for the water heater. Maybe I'm completely wrong about this and someone can straighten me out.

You can just work a nipple in someplace and put a standard air connector that you can attach a hose to. You'll have to put a shut off on it to keep water where it belongs. BTW are you going to use gate style valves or ball? I'm sure there's a more proper name for them but I don't know it.