• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any cigar aficionados out there?

boatfixer

love em but barely have em anymore (always with/around the kids)

in my younger traveling days though a macanudo, cohiba, winsston churchill & a few from that banished country south of florida. i do get an occasional treat on fathers day or b'day though.....it helps that the wife loves the smell of em

I'd be interested in hearing some recommendations from some of you cigar guys. I enjoy a cigar now and then although its rare. Usually smoke one at deer camp, one on the annual ice fishing getaway, and usually another one or two in the summer. Only smoking them a couple times a year I have a hard time knowing what to get and remembering what I liked before.

What I know I don't like is a cigar that leaves you with the cigar hangover feeling. Anyone know what I'm talking about? YOu could probably describe me as a cigar rookie so maybe its just something you get use to after awhile. I know i've only had it once or twice and the worst was from a dark cuban cigar I smoked in Mexico a few years ago.

Any good recommendations on cigars that are smooth, good flavor, that don't leave you with the hangover feeling?

Cigars are a lot like wine and beer in the sense that we all have different tastes for them. That being said, I'd look towards mild flavored smokes. Macanudo Hyde park comes to mind but they can be a little pricey, not expensive but singles can run $10 or more. Creme de Jamaica is another mild that's easy on the palette. Maroma makes several different milds that won't break the bank. Personally I've found that by sticking to higher quality, hand mades, I usually don't get the burn and real nasty cigar mouth. Even higher quality mediums can be easier to puff than cheap milds. For instance, ive got some Gurkha grand Templars (6x60) that are mediums and much smoother than a baccarat or cheaper Olivia mild.

Also smoking them right also helps. All the way from lighting it correctly to only drawing 2-3 times per minute ( usually 2 for me ). This helps keep the heat down and u don't get the burn.