• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lockout

Bear55

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez I hope so.. Let's get this thing done.. MN finally has high hopes going into a season and this happens.

I am not an NHL fan, I am a Wild fan, I stopped being a fan of the NHL when they moved all the playoff games to Versus and when they started handing out fines and suspensions and the Red Wings became the model team. I could care less on what happens in the rest of the league. Weeknight games give me something to do in the winter when I can't ice fish and catching a game when I am down in the cities always makes the trip more worth while.

Quote:
The strategy of pulling teams away from Canada and move to beach locations has always baffled me.

completely agree, it just doesn't feel right walking into the arena in a t- shirt and shorts in Feb. The people down there are bandwagon fans in general and then when you give them a game they didn't grow up with, they just don't care. I have heard of some good minor league hockey down in FL that has a strong following tho.

Lets hope so, it does sound like they have been talking for a few days now so lets hope something gets ironed out. What I hope for most of all is for them to set the framework for all future negotiations and we never have a lockout or strike again.

That guy is a moron, along with most of those radio guys. He's just on there to say things that get people excited, nothing else.

According to Wayne, the lockout should end by Jan 1. Who knows what will happen. Sounds like the league will start moving games back by mid-week. When games start getting cancelled, that's when we'll see real movement as players and owners are losing money at that point.

Pretty solid line up for Houston! It will be interesting to see how some of these guys do.

Forwards: Joel Broda, Brett Bulmer, Charlie Coyle, Kris Foucault, Justin Fontaine, Mikael Granlund, Johan Larsson, David McIntyre, Carson McMillan, Jarod Palmer, Nick Palmieri, Zack Phillips, Chad Rau, Jason Zucker.

Defense: Drew Bagnall, Jonas Brodin, Brian Connelly, Tyler Cuma, Kris Fredheim, Chay Genoway, Steven Kampfer, Marco Scandella.

Goalies: Mike Brodeur, John Curry, Matt Hackett, Darcy Kuemper.

Lots of meetings, same tired story. No movement from either side, both sides blame each other.

Donald Fehr - "Salary cap could be on the table if the lockout drags on."

This is would end the season. I think statements like this show Fehr's real intentions here. He doesn't want a hockey season, he wants to 'get the owners'.

I copied this from Pro Hockey Talk HSOforum...think it means anything?

Or just more "Nonsense"?

Stand by” friends …

As one of the very “few” here who’s refused to climb aboard the “doom & gloom” train, I sense that we’re now fast approaching that elusive “magical” breakthrough. So for good measure this morning, I again reviewed the data and re-crunched the numbers … and I’m still coming up with an agreement being announced during the week of Nov 5 – 10 (+ / – 3 x days, with a margin of error @ 5%). Also, not mentioned above in this article though readily available on the internet, is the fact that apparently a “large” number of marquee NHL players overseas have “suddenly” been making travel inquiries through their various agents within the past 24 hours ? And if that wasn’t enough, only two hours ago I received an uncustomary “short” message from my old friend “Stransky” who’s currently lecturing in Vienna. In the message Stransky simply said … “things are going to happen within the next 3-4 days”. So what all this might mean to people is up to them ? After all, we do live in a free country. For me however, I’m now convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that something “extremely” significant is about to take place ! And I believe that that something will be the announcement of an agreement between Bettman and the NHLPA !

ps: that 3 million is “chump” change as far as the NHL is concerned … the more important consideration is that of logistics, given the many parties involved either directly or indirectly.

Quote:
Donald Fehr is in Minnesota to meet with more than 30 NHL players.

Fehr is updating the players, some of whom are starting to get worried about lost their lost wages. "It's their contract, it's their futures, it's their agreement and it's their union, and I work for them," said Fehr, the executive director of the NHL Players' Association. "So I go wherever they want me to be. And when the guys say they want to have a meeting, I say, 'Sure, absolutely.'" The two sides have not met in a couple of weeks and that does not bode well for an agreement in the near future.

If the NHL loses this season, I think they are in danger of losing their 4th Major Sport status. You can't lose a season every 7 years and expect people to watch. I hope the players know this as well as the owners.

I think they kind of already lost it back in the 90's. Now there just isn't a 4th major sport, just a bunch of other sports.

IMO, they lost this as soon as they decied to take a short term gain over a long term look by broadcasting the Stanley Cup Finals on Vs. Absolutley asinine that I can't watch the finals with a $75 satellite pckg (I could if I spend another 20/mo to get top pckg). They should take less money and go back to network TV. So that at least the "poor" people who enjoy the sport can watch the final games.

No kidding. It would be really nice if NBC would broadcast a few more games a week. If they want to get noticed, get on a channel that everyone in the US has access to.

Although, I can't argue with getting off of ESPN. I hate that network.

completely agree, as soon as they switched the playoffs and Cup to VS, they lost alot of "NHL" fans. That's why I am a "Wild" fan and I could care less on what happens around the league if it doesn't effect my team. All I would want is a Tuesday night game and a Sun 1pm game and it would get me back watching. The true fans are streaming the games online and that's a whole other issue I suppose.

The NHL doen't really have true stars, people want stars like Kobe Bryant and Payton Manning, Networks want storylines and stars. It seemed like the NHL was banking on Crosby and Ovechken to take that role and they never did due to injuries etc. IMO The best thing the NHL has done in years is the Winter Classic and the HBO series.