• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snap Swivels

TigerBlood

Does anyone use them for spin fishing trout? I normally do not, but am considering trying for the following reasons:

1.) Added weight (to help with casting those #0 Mepps I bought!)

2.) Reducing line twist

3.) Quick Change ability/No line clippings to mess up my pockets

4.) Potential improved lure action for rapalas

Thoughts/Advice? My only fear is that the extra hardware will reduce my bites. I was wondering what those who have fished for trout more than me have experienced.

I never use snap swivels for trout fishing.

I don't change lures often enough to bother making the process quicker with a swivel, and if my line is in good shape I don't need the extra strength. I've also never had line twist be enough of an issue in trout fishing.

Even larger spinners can swing around and get tangled in a swivel, and a swivel makes it a little harder to "feel" your lure. I don't know how much of an issue it would be with an in-line spinner, but a swivel can deaden the action on crankbaits with more subtle movement.

The extra weight might be a reason to use a swivel with a very small spinner, but aside from that to me a swivel is just one more thing to mess with in trout fishing.

Let us know how you do as you try various trout fishing methods.

Will do Eyehunter. I've read that some feel a snap will give a rapala more action vs. tying directly. In fact, rapala recommends the "rapala knot" (which is basically a loop) for lures without a split ring.

Good point about hooks getting caught up in the swivel though. My only head to head testing of snap swivel vs. tying directly was fishing sunnies. Me and my bro had on same line and lures. He was using a snap swivel and I tied directly. We were just vertical jigging, so action wasn't a big factor. I was getting bit 10 to 1 to him. Of course a fast moving target (fishing trout on spinners) may be a completely different game. But that's still in the back of my mind.

X2 on the Rapala knot or using a swivel with larger crankbaits that have a lot of action. While walleye fishing I have found that crankbaits with more subtle action are hampered by a swivel.

In the past, I did use the Rapala knot with #3 or #5 sinking Rapalas while trout fishing, but you have to tie a very small loop in the knot, or else the treble hooks will snag the loop on every other cast. The same goes for smaller in-line spinners, although their action would not be affected so much by a swivel or the type of knot used. For that reason, I stopped using the Rapala knot while trout-fishing some years ago. I just tie everything tight, and it seems to work fine for me.

I sure hope that wasn't on a designated trout stream.... crazy

Possessing live minnows or using them for bait on designated stream

trout lakes is prohibited. Only dried, frozen, or pickled (brined)

Actually minnows are legal on designated trout streams, but illegal on LAKES that are designated as stream trout LAKES which is what the regs you cut out say.

the only swivel I recommend is a barrel swivel. That is if you are using light tackle on heavier line and to help take out line twists. I also Carolina rig gulps with a barrel swivel.

Otherwise-NO SNAPS too much goes wrong with them.

Does anyone use them for spin fishing trout? I normally do not, but am considering trying for the following reasons:

1.) Added weight (to help with casting those #0 Mepps I bought!)

2.) Reducing line twist

3.) Quick Change ability/No line clippings to mess up my pockets

4.) Potential improved lure action for rapalas

Thoughts/Advice? My only fear is that the extra hardware will reduce my bites. I was wondering what those who have fished for trout more than me have experienced.

I will add improved inline spinner action. Improved spoon action. So depending the the fish's mood, it's gonna see improved or reduced bites. The extra hardware is more prone to fouls up on the cast if your lure tumbles.