• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Green and Red chillies

Gordie

I have a bumper crop of these beauties and was wondering if any of you guys grow them.

They have a real tough skin on them and when my folks lived in New Mexico when I would visit I saw that they would roast them and then flesh them can or freeze them until they need to use them any of you guys do this.

They have some really big cages that roll and then they use a big propane torch to roast them.

I roasted mine on the grill but was wondering if you guys have any other ideas for them?

i put my jalapenos in the deydrator this morning. five trays worth from the garden. i split them in half and left the seeds in. after getting them dry i will put them in batches in my blender and then store them in a big spice jar to use as a seasoning to different dishes.

this is the first time i have done this and i dont know how long it will take to get them dry. have to take a few peeks in there once in awhile. i met a gal at a farmers vegi stand and she told me she par boils every vegi for two minutes and when cooled she freezes all of it in vacume bags. good luck.

My dehydrator warms up to 155 degrees and has a fan. I dehydrate mine overnight into the next day. I leave them whole. They are ready when they crunch when you squeeze them. I throw my peppers into canning jars and store them in the dark. When I need some ground up I put them in a hot fry pan till I can smell them then they go into my cheap $10 coffee grinder that is just for peppers and herbs.

RH, your next batch of smoothies may have a nice kick.

LOL, as i said i cut them in half and they shrunk down pretty good. i was surprised how long it takes for the crunch effect. i put them in a airtight jar until i need it. the coffee grinder idea sounds better than a blender. i have one i dont use so that will be my tool. my dehydrator also gets up to that temp and has a fan. good luck.

I always grow lots of green Anahime chilli's. Love em and make green chilie NewMexico style.I dont have a drum roaster, so I just start a wood fire get all the grates I can find use some concrete blocks to prop the grates up and start roasting.Its time consuming!! But in winter it pays off.I cant find large cans in Mn. so I do my own.Roast till skin is chared,put them in plastic bags and they steam themselves then the skin easily peels off.

This year I have 10 anahime plants and a great crop.Probably take me and the wife 5-6 hours to prep em and Freeze them.If you dry some they turn red let em get real dry then crunch em up and you'll have the same pepper shakies as in most Italian resturants.

Those drum roasters remove the skin as they turn not all of it but 90-95% they in NM hand clean them after the roaster.

red and green chillies are different than jalapeno's as they have a more meaty flesh and they are great roasted. I built a red neckroaster yesreday afternoon and it worked very well roasted about a gallon bucket full in no time then let them cool and vac packed them in portions and froze.

I will try and post up a pick of the roaster. I'm having trouble emailing from my phone to myself.

I have watched a few youtube chillie roasters and will be buliding a nicer one next season.

I like anahiem chilies also.But I prefer Pablano chilies.A little more heat and great tasting in Mexican dishes.Especially when stuffing them or making chili relanos.Anaheims are to narrow for a good stuffed pepper.

We grow Anaheims every year as well. Honestly, I like stuffing them as well as the Hungarian Wax Peppers. We always stuff a few Green Peppers as well to make my wife happy.

We like to dry the Super Chili and some Cayenne peppers in the deydrator. We dry them whole until the seeds rattle inside. Once dry, they seem to keep forever.

Reinhard,

I don't dry those large chili peppers anymore. We have found that it works better for us to freeze them. The peppers that we dehydrate are the Super Chili which are between 1 and two inches long and the cayenne. Our dehydrator is just a cheapie but does well on these small peppers and apple slices. I think it is less than a day to dry them when all the trays are full. I rotate the trays a few times during the drying cycle so they all get dry at about the same time. Its hard for me to remember how long from one year to the next. I ought to write things down I guess. laugh

I have to see that roaster!

I can not get it to transfer to my email so I will try and get one from my kid he took one .I ll just tell you that it involves a old minnow trap, wheel barrow rim and a piece of conduit. like I said redneck but it worked great.

hope to get the video on tonight.

RH, mine take about 16-18 hrs to dry when whole. Not sure of the temp. I will check today. It does have a fan. It's the Jerky Express I got from the farm of Fleets. It was on clearance for 20 bucks. Actually pretty happy with it. I too make the beef sticks with it and people love them. Never thought I would make jerky with hamburger. I still prefer the steak better.

thanks for that info. i was surprised how long it took. figured it would not take as long as sticks. boy was i wrong. i could have looked it up but i prefer to check with the people on this forum such as yourself who i can chat with personaly. thanks again. good luck.

yea they work really well. Last recipe i tried was candied jalapeños they will be done in two week. Hope they are good they will be like the burger from applebees that has jalapeños on it.

Care to share that recipe cause that really sounds goooood!

Candied Jalapenos

There aren’t words that exist to describe how addictive these little savoury, sweet, spicy, crunchy, garlicky pickled jalapeno rounds are. Put them on sandwiches, tacos, rice or bake them into cornbread. You’ll need more and more!

Ingredients

3 pounds fresh, firm, jalapeno peppers, washed

2 cups cider vinegar

6 cups white granulated sugar

1/2 teaspoon turmeric

1/2 teaspoon celery seed

3 teaspoons granulated garlic

1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

Instructions

Wearing gloves, remove the stems from all of the jalapeno peppers. The easiest way to do this is to slice a small disc off of the stem-end along with the stem. Discard the stems.

Slice the peppers into uniform 1/8-1/4 inch rounds. Set aside.

In a large pot, bring cider vinegar, white sugar, turmeric, celery seed, granulated garlic and cayenne pepper to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the pepper slices and simmer for exactly 4 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the peppers, loading into clean, sterile canning jars to within 1/4 inch of the upper rim of the jar. Turn heat up under the pot with the syrup and bring to a full rolling boil. Boil hard for 6 minutes.

Use a ladle to pour the boiling syrup into the jars over the jalapeno slices. Insert a cooking chopstick to the bottom of the jar two or three times to release any trapped pockets of air. Adjust the level of the syrup if necessary. Wipe the rims of the jars with a clean, damp paper towel and fix on new, two-piece lids to finger-tip tightness.

*If you have leftover syrup, and it is likely that you will, you may can it in half-pint or pint jars, too. It’s wonderful brushed on meat on the grill or added to potato salad or, or, or… In short, don’t toss it out!

Place jars in a canner, cover with water by 2-inches. Bring the water to a full rolling boil. When it reaches a full rolling boil, set the timer for 10 minutes for half-pints or 15 minutes for pints. When timer goes off, use canning tongs to transfer the jars to a cooling rack. Leave them to cool, undisturbed, for 24 hours. When fully cooled, wipe them with a clean, damp washcloth then label.

Allow to mellow for at least two weeks.

Gordie on your roaster what did you use for fire?After you mentioned the minnow trap the light went on in this empty room.

Sorry but my phone will not let me email vid to myself and the one my son emailed will not copy to a file??

I used a big propane torch we call it a weed burner torch.

Thanks for the recipe otterman

Yea no problem. Hope they are as good as they sound. Would be great on a burger.

They are better than they sound and I really don't think they are taming down if anything they are getting hotter. grin I did Serrento and jalapeneo peppers.