• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dipsy Divers?

Agronomist_at_IA

I had a vacation up to Lake of the Woods and fished with a charter that used downriggers and raps in 30ft. of water and we just hammered the fish.

Now being back home in Iowa and all the heat we had, I'm thinking trolling with raps in the deeper water would be a good idea to find walleye.

I've done some research and it looks like using a dipsy diver would be like a poor man's downrigger for the boat.

I'm looking to troll in about 20-40ft of water. Would a dipsy diver work well?

Anyone use dipsy divers much?

Yeah, it probably would. If you run into shakers though they may have a tough time releasing your dipsie.

I would recommend the size 0 dipsie because depending on what kind of line you are using it will put your bait down about 30' with 150 or 200 feet on the counter. (You would probably want a linecounter)

I use dipsey alot but mostly for lakers and salmon.

I have used them in the past for walleyes and they do work but mostly with floating jointed Raps or original floating raps.

Has anyone tried using them with spinners or is the speed needed for the spinners too slow for a dipsey to plane out?

Second the small size and line counter reels. But if you're just trolling in that depth, why not just use the deep diving cranks or just snap weights?

If I was going to use something to get deeper I would go with a slide diver. It is like a Dipsy but they make a model that is made for a light bite. If you do a search you will see what I am talking about. Another option is to go with a Torpedo Diver. What is good about them is you can have a lot of line out and still get down to your depth. There depth charts are pretty accurate.