• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Braided Line for Deep Cranking?

NickMcD63

I just purchased a Dobyns 805 CB RM and I was anticipating for vibration from the tip when deep cranking. Most of the time I am deep cranking a weedline so abrasion isn't going to be a huge issue, but does anyone use a thin diameter braid for deep cranking? How is your hook up ratio? I am hoping this will give me more feel and will allow to rip better out of weeds.

I am probably in the minority, but I love braid for cranking. I know you want the stretch in your line and a moderate action rod for the best hooksets, but when I have used braid I usually have a pretty good hookup ratio.

I love braid for cranking as well. I'm using floro this year(a lot of pros use it), but I'm going back to braid (I'm not a pro).

I just like the feel coupled with the 7' MH e-glass rod and the strong hook sets or setting into a rock or tree or dock, etc...

Hiya -

I occasionally use braid for deep cranks, mainly when I'm fishing really thick deep coontail. The braid razors through the coon a little better than my usual fluoro, and I can put ore force into snapping a bait free when I get buried in the stuff.

You do have to take the no stretch of braid into account when you're picking a rod (I use a glass rod) and when fighting fish - easy to pull the hooks out on a a fish if you aren't careful. But I think it does have a time and place.

RK

I started with mono, switched to braid, then switched to flouro and I'm back to braid again. I just don't get the feel I want with flouro/mono. I don't know how the pros do it. if I'm really confident with my casting paths (i.e. I can cast accurately enough to not need to feel for the rock) I can switch but do so rarely. I need to feel that rock for confidence.

As for hookups, I think I've lost just as many fish be getting poor hooksets with mono/flouro as I have by having too stiff of line with braid. I use that KVD rod as my main deep cranking rod and I think it has helped keep fish on with braid during the fight.

Thanks for the replies so far. Does anyone have experience with the Dobyns 805 CB RM that I bought? I called Dobyns and they said if I am throwing anything 0-20ft and want tip action, I should look at the 804, but I don't want to loose that backboen when ripping from weeds...

The Shimano Cumara reaction 7'11 MH Fast is on clearance for $150 right now.

It's a highly reviewed deep cranking rod, I just got one and my buddy has two already. It's online at the warehouse with tackle if you get my drift...

I'm afraid I don't get your drift... is it this warehouse?

indiana-jones-raiders-warehouse.jpg

I have that 7-11 Cumara and it ROCKS for big cranks

Good, because I just ordered one smile

Have you also tried the Dobyns 805 CB RM? Once I try out my Cumara and I will have to decide which one to return, but I am hoping the Cumara has more tip action to it.