• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best time to buy a new boat?

Dragonsm

In a post a few weeks ago I was looking for ideas for a full windshield boat and possible models to look at.

Well, since then....I have had the opportunity to visit some dealerships and check out various models....(mostly new but also some used) which turned out to be extremely valuable so far. I have been able to figure out my likes/dislikes and go from there.

Initial intentions are to find a early to mid 2000 or so boat that would fit what I am looking for.

I've come across a dozen or more different boats (majority private party) where I have had genuine interest in to view and purchase providing my contact information and the desire to set up a time to view the boat....only to either get no response what so ever or on a few being trumped by someone on the opposite side of the state or in the next state or two over that said they'd buy the boat sight unseen.

With this kind of purchase....I'm sure most of these boats would be fine with that response but I still want to see what I am purchasing before giving the go ahead. (I've went to check out a handful of boats at dealers that looked amazing in the pictures only to find out the pictures were very deceiving)

I realize I have to be patient since good used boats come up even less and there is an extreme high demand for the type of boat I am looking at.

With all this, I began to kick around the idea more and more of maybe just buying new if I can't get an opportunity to buy used. (I'd much rather do that than settle for something that doesn't exactly meet my criteria)

When do you tend to see the "best" prices or package deals on new boats? Around the time the new year's model is released? going into fall/winter? boat show?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

The boats that I have bought used have been found in mid to late Summer. After the Spring rush there are still a lot of them on the market and often they have been for sale for a while and the seller is willing to negotiate. It's interesting the observation you pointed out that often the used boats are gone before you get there, and maybe the market is picking up for recreational equipment.

It sounds like you know what you are looking for so hit the ads early and go see the seller with cash in hand. As in buying classic cars, the sale goes to the first buyer with the money and you will need to be ready to check out the boat while you are there, and plan to get it looked over by a qualified mechanic later. All of that "Careful Buyer" stuff goes out the window when you decide that the boat is right for you and the next guy is pulling into the driveway with a handful of cash. Look at the way the boat has been cared for, have them start it up for you and make sure it is really what you want, then buy it. Get it checked out and then use it for the rest of the Summer, in the Fall you will know the little things that need to be adressed before next season.

Good Luck!

John

Patience is the key. If you are in a hurry then you will pay more.

Be flexible. If you are not able to jump on a deal, then you will pay more.

It took me over a year to find my current boat. I was picky. Had a dollar limit, boat limit, motor limit, and year limit.

Limited my choices to four models that I was interested in.

Also limited my choices to the top three motors that I wanted. I wasn't interested in anything outside of those parameters.

Given that, You have to be ready to jump on a sale the same day it is posted. Check multiple times per day. I found that postings tended to go up on a certain day of the week and would check throughout the day. I think it was Tuesdays, at the time. Might be different now.

Search multiple sites and locations. Found mine in WI and agreed to buy it sight unseen, with the caveat that it had to be as described. Luckily, it was.

My advice, patience and a flexible schedule. If you don't have those, then go new.

I personally feel new is the better way to go because of all the different incentives and packages the manufactures offer. I bought my boat new back in Feburary of 2011. at that time I was able to get in on two incentives that ended up giving me a extra $750.00 towards my down payment. I would have got even more incentive money had I bought in January. the other thing to remember is that if you plan to finance the boat purchase the banks will be more willing to go out to a longer term on a new boat verses a used boat. some banks will go out as far as 10 years on new boat. now when it comes to used boats, banks will normally go no more than 5 years and they will only finance boats that are 5 years or less old. atleast this was the case with all the banks I checked with when I was boat shopping.

My take from selling a few and buying a few, from now to fall is best time to buy used, spring is best to sell used as the other folks said. If buying it is real easy to take a test spin now.

For new, I kinda like winter/spring (boat show time) because of the incentives then (can shop all in one place at a show, get double warranty, etc.) and then you start fresh in spring and have it perfect by fishing opener. I just got a new pontoon, ordered in March, took possession in May. As mentioned with financing, you can get really good rates if you keep it to 5 or 6 years. I got 6 years at 2.5%. The 10+ years are up in the 7-8% range.

Good luck, if you buy used, don't tell you are bringing cash, but bring it anyway and if you like it buy. I just sold an old pontoon, and the fistfull of Benjamins made me happy at a bit less than I really wanted to sell for wink - SOLD! haha!

I got my current rig online and agreed to buy as long as it was as described, it was and I was the first to get there with the cash and 3 summers later still happy with it... I had to drive 750 miles 1 way to get it, but at near half price it was worth the drive...

One more thing you can do -- if you have a smart phone there are apps you can get to watch the clist, checking with your search parameters (and your selected locales) every 15 minutes or so and notifying you if there are new ads. I suggest that you install one of those apps, and you might just be the first to call. I lucked out with my recent snowmobile purchase this way, actually called the guy before he even knew the ad was up -- he asked his wife to place the ad and then went to work. I was the first to call, and we set up a time for me to look at it after work (9 hours later). He called me back 4 hours later and says "how serious are you, I'm getting a ton of calls on this thing". I said I was going to buy it as long as it was as-described in the ad. I obviously lost all negotiating power at that point, but wasn't worried because the price was already right for me. When we got there to get it after work, he said he had almost 30 calls on that thing. Anyway, the notifier app for the clist was the only thing that saved me that day, since I normally wouldn't have been searching the list until after work, many hours after that ad was placed, and thus wouldn't have gotten it.

I bought my 3rd boat ($34995) new. When I was ready the dealership was as slow as can be....maybe why I got a good deal. I bought in early July last year and seemed to get good $$ on trade in and sale. Most boat sellers seem to be in a down cycle. Also, buying new comes with a warranty. Good luck!!