• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Meat Sales

I should have known better. Everything is backasswards in this town anyway. The only place I buy my meat is at a local "Mom 'n Pop" that has the best meat department AND service of just about anywhere in this town, Silver Lake Foods, and the meat manager/butcher is a buddy of mine. ALL their gr beef is done right there. I just bought 12 lbs of 85/15 last month for $3.29 a lb  right out of the grinder. I just wanted some to grill up today. Everything else is in the freezer for Fall. In this town, the only "chain" I will buy from is Fareway, which also has a great meat department. Funny about the chicken at Wally World you mentioned; all they have here at Wally Mart north is Golden Plump, and that's what I buy. I've seen very few Tyson products there, of which I am not a fan, either. I spent a year working in a butcher shop in the late 70's and learned the ropes, and Tyson was one to stay away from. Multi-million dollar entities like Cub sure aren't going to lose any money if they make an "early'' sale like today, especially when there's not any notation of difference in area sales...I just double-checked on line. They lost me as customer before I even became one. Thanks for the tip, though, Reinhard, this town is kinda like living in the Twilight Zone, anyway.:grin:

Edited by RebelSS

I should have known better. Everything is backasswards in this town anyway. The only place I buy my meat is at a local "Mom 'n Pop" that has the best meat department AND service of just about anywhere in this town, Silver Lake Foods, and the meat manager/butcher is a buddy of mine. ALL their gr beef is done right there. I just bought 12 lbs of 85/15 last month for $3.29 a lb  right out of the grinder. I just wanted some to grill up today. Everything else is in the freezer for Fall. In this town, the only "chain" I will buy from is Fareway, which also has a great meat department. Funny about the chicken at Wally World you mentioned; all they have here at Wally Mart north is Golden Plump, and that's what I buy. I've seen very few Tyson products there, of which I am not a fan, either. I spent a year working in a butcher shop in the late 70's and learned the ropes, and Tyson was one to stay away from. Multi-million dollar entities like Cub sure aren't going to lose any money if they make an "early'' sale like today, especially when there's not any notation of difference in area sales...I just double-checked on line. They lost me as customer before I even became one. Thanks for the tip, though, Reinhard, this town is kinda like living in the Twilight Zone, anyway.:grin:

I  will haverify to give silver lake a try.  Ye Olde butcher shop is good also. Hi Vee prepackaged beef is select. The Steffi at the service counter is better.

Personally, sams or costo beats them all. Or some of the small town places.  I hear good things about Gregs meats on 52 

Talk to Rob At Silver Lake, Del. He'll be cuttin' away. ;) It was Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe I worked at years ago. HyVee is way out of line on their prices; anyone is cheaper than they are, IMO. Ever try Just Rite on the hill? They've got some good stuff, too.

Talk to Rob At Silver Lake, Del. He'll be cuttin' away. ;) It was Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe I worked at years ago. HyVee is way out of line on their prices; anyone is cheaper than they are, IMO. Ever try Just Rite on the hill? They've got some good stuff, too.

Haven'the shopped much at just rite since old Mr Just died, and the place got sold, lol these many years ago.  Might have to give it another try.  Just me and my wife, so don't need as much.  I like to cook, but cooking for two, and she doesn't eat much, is hard.  

Haven'the shopped much at just rite since old Mr Just died, and the place got sold, lol these many years ago.  Might have to give it another try.  Just me and my wife, so don't need as much.  I like to cook, but cooking for two, and she doesn't eat much, is hard.  

Yup, it is. Just me here. Sometimes I have to eat for two. :crazy:

Well, dip me in you-know-what... I've done it this time. sarcy.gif I mentioned earlier in reply to Reinhards post about me not seeing any Tyson products at Wally World, that I buy Golden Plump chicken there...NOT! Was just there a bit ago, it IS Tyson, NOT Golden Plump. The packaging looks almost the same to me....and that's what's in my freezer, Tyson chicken. Mr. Reinhard, you were right. And I like it...I admit it. Just had to fess up when I saw that this morning. I tell ya, I gotta get a better tinfoil hat.....:crazy:

Rebel, ya, that yellow wrapping can be confusing.  Cub is bringing in Perdue chicken from the east coast.  It's ok, when it's on sale but the regular prices are way too high.  Glad they are still selling GoldnPlump.  Eyeguy, that is a great price on the boneless pork loin.  BB back ribs is a good bargain also.  good luck.

This week Cub has Perdue fresh drumsticks, thighs, or whole fryers for 99 cents per pound.  Perdue fresh boneless skinless chicken breasts for 2.99 lb.  Beef bone-in strip steaks for 7.99 lb.  Deli has 10 pc. all dark fried chicken parts for 5.99.  Pork boneless country style ribs for 1.99 lb.  Pork boneless pork loins for 2.99 lb.  93% lean ground beef in 3 pound tubes for 4.49 lb. [13.47 each].  Beef bottom round roast for 4.99 lb.

County Market has beef bone-in rib eye steaks for 7.98 lb.  Pork baby back ribs for 2.98 lb.  Boneless beef boneless eye of round roast or steak for 4.59 lb. Beef boneless round tip steak for 4.49 lb. 16oz GoldnPlump boneless skinless chicken breast portions for 3.99 each.

Aldi has fresh family pack chicken drumsticks for 89 cents per pound and Beef boneless strip steaks for 7.99 lb.

Went there once and that was it.  Good store for a quick stop or single people or just a couple.  Last year they had prime rib at a great price for Christmas.  Went there and they had one left.  A guy told me they only got 5 in LOL.  And they had a plastic wrap on them so you couln't see much of the roast.  Hard for me to judge them though for they do have some buisness so some folks like them.  good luck.

The last time I went to aldi, the milk and eggs were past the "sell by date", and when I told the person at the checkout she was like, whatever.  So I haven't been back.  Not a big fan of unknown brands either.  Trader Joe, brother of Aldi, ok.  Costco, ok.  Super discount Aldi, not ok. 

That's my take.

Thanks, guys. Figured that much. I'll stick with Silver Lake and Fareway. By the way, Silver Lake has cooked bone-in hams for .99 lb. Anywhere from 5-10 lbs. I picked up a couple and cut and re-wrapped for the freezer. Use the bone and meat chunks for bean 'n ham soup. Saved a slab for dinner sometime this week...ate a few slices; pretty good, not salty like so many are. 

That's a great price on those hams.  Try not to freeze ham longer than 4 to 5 months.  Freezing tends to draw the salt out of hams and smoked stuff in general don't freeze as well as fresh meats.  Bacon in another item that you should not freeze for long periods of time.  good luck.

That's the longest for me on the hams, too...4 months. However, last 2 years, I've bought all my bacon on sale in September, 10-12 lbs, and used the last of it in April. Comes out fine; but I microwave mine wrapped in paper towels on a plate, maybe that makes a difference.(It's sealed in the 1 lb pkgs, too) I like mine softer, just to the point where it starts to get "firm", or holding a piece will give it a slow "droop". No comparisons, please.   surprised.gif

Edited by RebelSS

Cub has boneless skinless chicken breasts for 1.99 lb.  Beef boneless Chuck roasts or steaks for 3.99 lb.  Watch for the chuck eye's there also because when the chuck roasts go on sale normally the chuck eye steaks are reduced.  Those are my favorite.  Fresh Atlantic salmon fillets for 5.99 lb.  Pork assorted chops for 2.69 lb.  Beef boneless top sirloin steaks for 7. 99 lb.  80% lean ground beef for 3.99 lb. in 3 pound tubes[ 11.97 each].  Baby back ribs for 3.99 lb.  Applewood sliced bacon for 2.99 lb.

County Market has some great prices on 80% ground beef in 3 pound tubes for 2.98 lb. [8.94 each] and pork assorted chops for 1.48 lb.   Beef bonelless arm roasts for 4.79 lb.  Pork center cut pork chops for 2.69 lb.  good luck.

Boy, I wish down here in this purported  "#1 city"  (HA!) we had more than a Walmart, a bunch of over-priced Hy-vee's, and a Cub foods to shop at. We used to have an Econo foods, a Rainbow, a few others, they all packed it in. I miss those places. Thank god for the small local guys.