• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Food Plot Plans

GottaGo

I did my first one probably 7-8 yrs ago and planted rye on it late in the summer with good results. It was probably only 15ydsx30yds in size, and never looked that great, but I did take a few deer off it. I only hunted it for a few yrs and ended up moving. I just recently found a new spot that I'm planning on making a plot soon on. Hoping to get it all cleared out in the next couple weeks then plant most likely a rye/clover mix in it in the middle of July. I'm getting excited to start this project. What are other guys food plot plans for the year? Have you started yet, or are you planning something soon?

Typically clover is planted in the spring or late summer, eary fall. We plant our winter rye around Aug. 25th and clover around Aug. 15th. If you seed clover much earlier than that you better hope for good rains.

IMO winter rye is a great last minute food plot option. It grows quick and stays green well after the first frost. Clover is the same and if you go with a clover like ladino it will grow for 3 to 5 years as long as you cut it in the summer.

I've got a stand of white clover up now and buckwheat that's just starting to pop. Planted some soybeans over the weekend as well. In mid-July, I'll till in the buckwheat and strip-plant brassicas and a rye/peas/clover combo. We've been getting some nice timely rains the past few weeks which really helps.

Jumbo.. I agree on the winter rye comment. I don't think I planted mine until the middle of september last year and it grew really nice and stayed green through some pretty good frosts. I checked it in may and it was growing pretty well. I'm not sure if I should dig it back up and replant it or trim it?

Both of my plots are pretty small (i.e. 20 yards by 20 yards) and are in tough to get places so they are both done by hand, which limits what I can do a bit. I'm excited to get a larger one put in for my dad in Wisconsin this year because we'll be able to get the tractor and tiller into the area, along with a brush hog.

What would people recommend for NW Wisconsin? I'd heard good things about the buck forage oats?

Oats are oats. Cheap feed oats for horses will work great. Don't pay more for buck on bag brands. You could include a mix of winter rye and red clovers and you'd have a nice weed-free plot in the spring as well. You could try brassicas (rape/turnips/radishes) too. Excellent tonage for small plots and withstand some grazing pressure. Sometimes there's a learning curve (1-3 years) for the deer to realize how delicious brassicas are though.

I plant oats and beets/turnips about the 1st of August. As far as the oats go ive tried buck forage oats and ive just bought a $9 bag of feed oats at Runnings, and Ive had better luck with the feed oats! Also, I usually go around where the corn is crappy and short in the end rows and i broadcast rape. That stuff will come up anywhere and adds another salad to the buffet!

I plant oats and beets/turnips about the 1st of August. As far as the oats go ive tried buck forage oats and ive just bought a $9 bag of feed oats at Runnings, and Ive had better luck with the feed oats! Also, I usually go around where the corn is crappy and short in the end rows and i broadcast rape. That stuff will come up anywhere and adds another salad to the buffet!

+1 I buy all my seed from the local mill,ok it doesn't have a picture of a big buck on the bag but costs way less and works great.

Tonight I was out planting rape,turnips,rutabagas and cow peas through the thin spots along the corn. I planted rye grain,alfalfa,buck wheat and clovers in my main plot just before the frost came out and they are doing great despite being in sugar sand.

I planted about 200 trees and couldn't have picked a better year!

My corn is good and my beans are already about a foot high! My problem is I have more volunteer beans in my corn... than I do in my bean plot! How do you get rid of that?? Once the volunteer beans start they just take over! Im sure it will have a negative effect on my corn eventually! Although now they both look good? Should be lots of food there but I suppose the cobs will be smaller or something.

I wouldn't worry about the volunteer beans - sounds like a good problem to have! Just feed the corn plenty of nitrogen and you'll be fine. It's all for the deer right? They don't complain much about cob size. Well the does do I guess. laugh

Did you innoculate the beans? Pull a few plants and check the roots for nodules! The beans will use up a lot of that nitrogen, but healthy plants should give off enough for a surplus available to other crops. Still wouldn't hurt to top-dress some urea to give it a boost though!