• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What would happen if I hit a deer....

I have - I railed a deer on Hwy 2 North of Two Harbors, with the canoe on top of my ford ranger. It was a trip with my wife...and as such we were running late. I was doing about 70-75 and the deer jumped up out of the ditch, I don't think I'd even hit the brakes by the time of impact. I had a grill guard on the ranger and it took the brunt of the damage. In addition, I had one broken headlight and a small crack in the grill. No issues at all with the canoe. A canoe properly tied down including bow and stern lines should stay on through just about anyting.

We drug the deer off the road and continued onward. We had a great trip.

Well--obviously--if the deer doesn't fly up into windshield, there's not going to be a problem unless the canoe's tied on so crappily that a quick stop would send it flying. I was more curious about what would happen if the deer hit the hood and went up into the canoe.

I was responding to the individual who stated they've never actually found anyone who hit a deer with a canoe on the car. Regarding your question about what would happen if the deer flew up into the straps/canoe on top of the roof...

Well - obviously - that would cause significant damage to the canoe. I've seen deer take a car out, front so smashed up they can't even drive it. If it can do that to car, the canoe is certianly going to sustain damage.

Sorry, guys--and especially CCBB. Upon rereading, I can see how my post sounds pretty snarky/dickish. That certainly wasn't my intent.

I dunno if the "canoe would be trashed." A kevlar might not make it, but aluminum, royalex, super/polylink canoes might be OK. Probably too many factors to be able to make any generalizations...

I have nightmares about hitting deer with my nice canoe(s) on the top of my car, which is worth less than the canoes themselves. smile

Well--obviously--if the deer doesn't fly up into windshield, there's not going to be a problem unless the canoe's tied on so crappily that a quick stop would send it flying. I was more curious about what would happen if the deer hit the hood and went up into the canoe.

That would be hilarious, (if it wasn't my truck) but I can amaging that deer would be doing some serious thrashing if it survived the impact.

Yes, "funny" is in the eye of the beholder. smile

I drive up to the BWCA four or five times a year, and as schedules often work out, it's often at sunrise on the day of entry or at sunset the day before. There are LOTS of deer around. Not fun to contemplate what would happen if one decided to go hara kiri into my boat. And considering the boat is worth more than the car, I'd like to avoid that conversation with my insurance agent. wink