• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I just lost $20 and it ...

PierBridge

.....coulda been much worse!

So without Googling or using a calculator here guys .... if you started with a Penny on day 1 of a 31 day month and you doubled it each day how much money in Dollars would you have after day 31.

For those that know the answer hold off a bit ... smile

I said $52 bucks off the top of my head when asked.... but took the bet quickly after hearing the number my friend put out.

One clue, you have $5 and some change after 10 days.

Oh, yeah if someone says the right number and you're not in the right frame of mind, you're going to think he's on crack and bet against him. I thought I knew the answer but I was off by one iteration, ended up guessing twice as much as it really was.

RPG is an initialism from the Russian language

( transliterated as "ruchnoy protivotankovy

granatomyot" ), meaning "hand-held anti-tank

grenade launcher".

Rocket Propelled Grenade is also correct though.

From Wikipedia:

"A rocket-propelled grenade (often abbreviated RPG) is a shoulder-fired, anti-tank weapon system which fires rockets equipped with an explosive warhead"

World English Dictionary:

RPG

— abbreviation for

1. report program generator: a business-oriented computer programming language

2. rocket propelled grenade

3. role-playing game

So without Googling or using a calculator here guys .... if you started with a Penny on day 1 of a 31 day month and you doubled it each day how much money in Dollars would you have after day 31.

(2^30)/100

(2^30)/100

I guess we can probably post the answer by now. It's roughly 1 BILLION PENNIES, or roughly 10 MILLION dollars. Exponential growth is amazing.

It sounds crazy, but it is also exactly the same way that we can grow from from a 2-celled fertilized egg to a baby human being with roughly 50-100 TRILLION cells in as little as 180 days!

I about dropped over dead from laughter when he said he THOUGHT it was over 10 mill ...

I couldn't have agreed to the bet any faster after hearing that number. Even after crunching some quick numbers after the bet I still thought I had won. I mean come on, how does $5.62 after 10 days turn into 10 million LOL ... had to check it multiple times and I'm still in shock.

grin