• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do you do???

I'm starting this topic to see what everyone is doing with their uneatable turkey parts...beard, fan, spurs, feet, feathers. I've seen a few ideas in magazines, but I'm curious to see what else is out there other than the traditional mounts.

With your help, the next time the wife says "and why are you saving that" I'll have a good reason and not get threatened with a phone call to A&E hoarders!

I have some tails in the fridge that are half-prepped to be dried. I have no where to put them, but figured I would make one look nice to give to the family that gave us permission to hunt their ranch this year.

One of my coworkers is married to a Native American woman who still practices some of the traditional dances and such. In past years I would bag a whole bunch of the feathers that she and her family would use for decorations. I forgot to call this year and ask if she wanted any though...

1. Beard, I pull it out of it's socket and place on the shotshell used to harvest and write the date in sharpie on the brass.

2. Spurs, I cut the leg above and below the spur, remove the pink scaley skin, push the marrow out of the bone and coat well with 20 Mule Team borax. Then run a wire or wire tie thru both spurs and a hole in my tag. I have a piece of cord with all my spurs since the early 80's. Maybe a hatband some day?

3. Wings, i simply remove them and freeze saving for fly tyers or arrow makers.

4. Tail, I remove excess feathers and all the fat and muscle including the little triangular bone in the base of the feathers. Coat liberally with borax and pin to a cardbord box so it's a nice 1/2 circle. Allow to dry for several weeks then add to the stack on top of my cabinet. Someday I'll figure something cool to do with all those fans.

Horder, maybe, but many a memory attached to all the parts!!!

WD