• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pike Rods

Hawg

I'm brand new to the Northern game, I fished my first tournament this weekend. I learned that short handled rods suck for casting in a hurry, I had one good one and one with too short and too skinney a handle. I've been a Loomis and SC guy in the past for walleys but here goes. I have very good reels and understand the importance of those but-does a person need to go to high end rods for Pike or are there rods in the $50-$100 range that work as well. As a rookie it seems a good handle on a good stiff med hvy rod with a fast or extra fast tip is the ticket. This would be for spoons and small bucktail spinners. Thank you, from a newbee.

Hiya -

Personally, I think you can cover most of what a guy needs for pike fishing with a bass style flipping stick. Something in the 7 to 7'6" range, med-heavy, with a fast tip. Plenty of power for pike (I use flipping sticks for muskies all the time), length for making long casts, and as versatile as can be.

You can find multiple brands for flipping sticks in the 70-100 dollar range.

RK

I bought gander mountain brand rods for spinning reels, I love them. I think they were around 30-40 dollars, and they have a nice selection. The thing I look for in rods is a lot of eyelets, and how sturdy they feel. For casting I recommend a 7' rod in medium heavy action. Braided line is great for pike, 20-30 pound power pro will never break. Some might disagree, but you really need a steel leader for pike. 80-100 pound mono leader will hold up, but It seems to degrade lure action, and it needs to be replaced every time you catch a fish.

+1 on flipping sticks!

Do some looking. For $75- $100 you should have numerous options. I like ones with a long enough handle that i can cast using both hands. Much easier on the arms. grin

I use a low profile reel on a five year old Shimano convergence 7 ft heavy action fast tip muskie rod. For hammer handles its like reeling in a tube sock, but for anything over 30 inches its a perfectly suited rod/reel.

Shimano doesnt make the convergence in a muskie model anymore, but the do make a "sojourn" which runs around 70-90 i'd imagine. Sojourn replaced convergence from my estimate.

I have caught many Pike on various rods such as medium heavy spinning rods to 7' medium heavy bass rods. I also like to use medium heavy musky rods and reels when throwing musky sized lures.

6-6" 7-0" med to med hvy action spinning rod for lures lighter than 1oz and shorter than 6". Anything heavier I go to med heavy casting rods with bigger round reels. shimano 400's or Abu 6500. Line can be from 30lb- 100lb depending on cover.

I got a MH Fenwick HMG last year and put a Citica on it. First bait casting rod I ever bought. I like it. It throws big spinners and cranks just fine and has plenty of power.

Here's what I look for in spinning rods:

I like 7-8ft rods.

M or MH.

Affordable.

Put up with a bit of abuse.

I've been very happy with the multiple rods in the back of my car that have "Gander Mountain" on 'em, fit the bill for my needs. Pike fishing isn't fancy, you don't detect teeny nibbles, and you don't usually need a finesse approach.

I bought a Shimano Crucial 7'11" Swimbait rod at Thorne Bros last weekend.

That rod is actually one of my favorite muskie rods these days. Far and away the best muskie rod Shimano makes frankly. Not a rod for giant baits, but for spinnerbaits, small bucktails, rip baits and topwaters, it'd be a great pike rod for sure.