• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fertilizer, before or after rain?

Eric Wettschreck

If it's a weed and feed apply it when the grass is wet. Try and avoid applying fertilizer during drought conditions as it can burn the lawn. Most of todays fertilizers have a water smart technology that won't release any chemicals until it does rain, but I still like to wait until rain is in the forecast.

As Deer said, if you're spreading a weed-n-feed, the leaves of the plant need to be wet for the particles to stick to the leaves.

The particles need to stick to the leaves, as that's how the chemical gets into the root system.

If you're just spreading regular fertilizer, you'll want to do it before the rain, because the rain will push the particles into the soil.

The above statements are why a granular weed-n-feed are such a failure for most people. Either they put it down before the rain, thinking the rain will push the fertilizer into the ground. But then it washes whatever particles happened to stick to the leaves off, so no weeding from the "weed" part.

OR, they wait until after a rain, but you have to do it before the lawn dries, or you've missed the window.

If you're going to use a granular weed-n-feed, either do it real early in the morning with a dew, then as the dew dries, the particles dry to the leaves, OR run your sprinkler, do the application on that part of the lawn before it dries, move the sprinkler, do the next part, etc.

The second 1/2 of the above sentence can be a bit of a hassle for a large area, but at least you can apply at your convenience, or when you have time.

Another question that may seem silly, but please bear with me. I live in fertile SW MN and have never really had to deal with these issues, the lawn just grows thick and fluffy every year except this year. It's not only mine, it's all the places around here. We had a serious lack of rain last summer/fall and very little snow this winter. Things took a pretty serious hit.

So, I put down fertilizer then it rains. So far so good, how long after I apply fertilizer should I wait to mow?

If you haven't mowed at all yet, it's still early.

Yes, the temps have been warm, but up here in the cities, the ground temps are still very cool, in alot of spots.

My dad was complaining that his seed hasn't started germinating yet. I checked his ground temp the other day and it was 46 degrees.

He's got a shaded yard (albeit without leaves) but the trees themselves cause shade.

Anyways, I always tell people to wait until we have consistent 70's for highs before you start worrying about what's going on with the turf or landscape. Once you know everything is warmed up, then you can decide what to do, or what needs to be addressed for sure.

The main reason I fertilize before it rains is that rain water is soft water and it works better. Think of it as using less soap to lather up with soft vs hard water. Plus you will never burn your yard and I have dogs so they won't be laying in it or getting it between their toes. I had a neighbor who asked me once what was my secret for a nice yard and I told him to fertilize before it rains or during. His yard always looked better afterwards.

I need to get fertilizer down and include a weed killer with it since I have dandilions running wild. I also need to patch a number of spots with new seed. Does the weed & feed have the dame effect as crab grass preventer or can I seed right after putting down the weed & feed?

In my experience.....if the dandilions are blooming.....it is a waste of time and money to put on weed and feed.The flowers will still go to seed before the plant dies.Which means they will be there again next year.The only time I go after dandiliobns is in the fall....usually in late Aug.These are the new plants that will show up next spring.That's when to put on the weed and feed or spray with Weed-be-gone.

I need to get fertilizer down and include a weed killer with it since I have dandilions running wild. I also need to patch a number of spots with new seed. Does the weed & feed have the dame effect as crab grass preventer or can I seed right after putting down the weed & feed?

It should say on the label of the product that you're spreading how soon you can reseed.

Weed-n-Feed does not have the same effect as crab grass preventer, but you need to read the label.

For example, the product I use says the grass needs to be mowed twice before reseeding.

In my experience.....if the dandilions are blooming.....it is a waste of time and money to put on weed and feed.The flowers will still go to seed before the plant dies.Which means they will be there again next year.The only time I go after dandiliobns is in the fall....usually in late Aug.These are the new plants that will show up next spring.That's when to put on the weed and feed or spray with Weed-be-gone.

This is true if you're using a weed-n-feed type product. If you're having a professional do an application, the Dandelions will be dead / dying by the afternoon.

I sprayed an account yesterday morning, an hour later it rained about 3/4", yet last night all of the Dandelions are curled up laying on the ground.

I completely agree with the late® fall application. Simple terms, in the spring, the weed is pushing all of its energy up, creating a flower, or at the very least a plant above ground, so your chemical is going against the flow, so to speak.

In the fall, the plant is transferring all of its energy to the roots so it can last over winter, so your chemical is going with the flow, allowing more chemical into the roots, whether you're using a liquid or a granular weed killer.

I agree.....have only done it myself,plus I worked at a golf course as a greenskeeper for 15 years.We only sprayed dandilions in the fall.Not used a professional.Spraying on something like the common Weed-Be-gone after the yellow flowers are already showing is a waste.You will have to do it again in the fall when the newly seeded plants start growing.