• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1996 Ford Ranger Tranny??

hey guys i have a 96 two wheel drive 3.0L Ford Ranger. Right when i start the truck it has problems shifting into second when i start going, it is problematic at stops and starts alot of times i get going then it seems to slip out of gear and I have to baby it til it seems to catch again. After the truck is warmed up it seems like the problem goes away. I am wondering if this could be anything other than the Tranny going out. Thanks for any info

It is about a 4 hour job. Plus about $100 in parts.

Basically removing the pan, filter, and then the part above the filter, and seperating that (valve body) and replacing the plate/gasket. Now this is the trany valve body, lots of small parts, and it needs to be torqued to the correct amount, or you will have more issues.

full-17556-19602-vb.png

Is there anyway to figure out if this is the definite problem? Would it come up under the check engine light code? I wouldn't know if this turned the light on cause its been on for years. Any guess on what the price would be at a shop? i looked it up and don't have the tools that are necessary to do the job correctly.