• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best moutain bike under $1000

Something happened to my moutain bike this weekend while I was out of town frown. I am going to replace it Fri or Sat. I have been riding Trek fro about 10yrs now and have no complaints. I feel it could be time for a change or not, thats why I'm asking for some help. I am looking for a hard tail with dics brakes and decent components. I would also prefer it be American made if possible. The American made thing is what drew me to Trek, but now that most are out sourced to China frown I have to reconsider how I spend my money. I took a peek at some Cannondale's and GF's as well as the new Trek's. Just not too sure on what to get. Any help is appreciated.

This is kind of like the ol' Ford vs. Chevy debate because there are a lot of great bikes out there and a lot of fans of each company. I've been riding Specialized (and Trek) for 20+ years and like their quality. Gary Fischer, Cannondale and Giant are nice too. Personally I think it comes down to the quality of the components and personal fit/handling. You really need to jump on a few different bikes and take them out for test drives.

Scott

PS: Almost every bike have components made by shimano... "american made" bikes don't really exist.. get over the idea of finding such a thing... china/japan make some great frames

Also.. check the list of craig for bikes... so many people buy bikes and then never touch them.. this includes high end bikes.. i got my scott for $100.. original price.. $700.. everything was brand new.. he rode it a handful of times.. just took it to my LBS to have everything adjusted and greased

After trying out a few of the major brand's I went with a Cannondale trail 5 with upgraded f/r derailleur's, it was right in line with what I was looking for. I rode a couple 29ers and realy didn't feel comfortable in the tight corners. Settled on another 26 with an extra large frame.

Funny thing, when I went into all but one of my local bike shops and told them I was trying to get out the door for around a grand, they must have heard over a grand. I was shown everything but a thousand dollar bike crazy. One of the salesmen at the mall store treated me as though I was a small child and didn't have any idea what I realy wanted. I left after just a few moments of hearing him tell me how great he was and if I wanted to be just as great I had to have this 3k setup. A big part of the reason I chose Cannondale was the staff at my local dealership, they went out of their way to make sure I was happy/comfortable with my purchase. After all was said and done I left satisfied and spent under $1000 grin

Incase anyone is still following this thread, I just picked up a Novara Matador 29er from REI, $800. It has a 80mm front shock, is slightly lighter than the Scott and Cannondale bikes in that same price range and comes with better derailleurs. Yes Novara is less well-known but it seems like an awesome bike so far...I've gone to Hillside park riding single-track twice and have really beaten on it, and it's holding up really well.