• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MMMMMMM!

Smoking some salmon today. It is an amazing magic trick, no matter how much I make it always disappears ...

Today I am trying a brine my sister gave me for xmas. Usually I just do the common dry brine of brown sugar, canning salt, and garlic. The salmon has been in the brine for 24 hours and now is drying on the counter. I have 1/2 of my wood chips soaking in water. I usually smoke it with the skin still on but this time I have removed it so I will smoke it with some parchment paper underneath it to keep it from sticking. This will also allow the smoke/brine flavor on both sides of the filet. I have a propane smoker so the smoking part goes pretty fast.

P3301486.jpg

24 hour brine for fillets? You must go a little easy on the salt...if i left fillets in my brine for 24 hrs they'd be too salty to eat!

Sure looks good...I wish I had me some salmon to run through:)

Ya when I do the dry brine I think I only leave them in for 6-8 hours or so. This was a store bought brine distructions said 24 hours and it turned out well. I'd use it again.

Here is a pic of what i used.

P3301487.jpg

Hi Mountain make good products. length of time varies on thickness of fillets and whole fish. salmon usualy is thicker so 24 hrs is not unusual. try dry curing sometime also. Third Eye had some great information on that in the cooking and reciepe forum. he has step by step and pictures. but it looks like you know what your doing and all that counts is that your happy with the results. good luck.

Another little trick I use often with salmon is to replace some of the water in the brine with apple juice. I often do big batches for me and several friends at a time when I do mine. I dislike all the time and mess for a small batch. Then I vacuum pack and freeze it....Very nice, looks good!