• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cannon River Bowfin

Comit, if you ever see a person do that, get a vehcile license # and description at a minimum and PM me. That is a depressing picture. I'm sure our C.O.'s would love to have a chat with someone.

Amazingly, a lot people think it is illegal to release roughfish back into the body of water! Last year a guy (lakeshore owner I might add) fishing from his dock, he caught a bullhead and asked me what he was supposed to do with it shocked when I told him he had to release it' he looked disgusted as he slid it back in the water. I think most situations are because they think they know what's best for the lake, but also, there are a lot out there that are in need of a serious update on their regulations!

Everything is like trout pond to them! You wouldn't put Northers in the Trout Pond would you! Everything is a Walleye/Crappie/Sunfish pond in there eyes.

Sunday there was a car full of people there that were trying to catch some Bowfin for the table. I wonder what there thoughts were when they saw all the wasted fish.

Nice fish comit. I gotta get out to the turtle river chain and see if i can find some of them.

Reminds me of a scene I saw this winter at a Lake of the Woods resort. The fish cleaning shack had about a dozen Burbout outside of it frozen to the pavement. I fear that this is the image the non-fishing public gets of fisherman. It reminded me of the scene on Dances with Wolves when all the buffalo were rotting dead without skins or tongues. How far have we come since the 1860s?

What is to be done about this sort of behavior? I know the Resort will do nothing about it. The almighty dollar rules there. They aren't going to tell a paying client they can't do that. And CO's are less than likely to step in on a taxpaying, economy-driving, local businessman. Minnesota's largest industry as we all know is tourism. There's more wrong with the resort ideal than just that, but that's another topic altogether.

It seems predators in general, whether mammalian, avian, reptilian, or umm...fishian (somebody help with a word for that), are demonized. Look at the wolf delisting debate. Look at Coyote hunting. Look at the practice of baiting traps for owls on fenceposts. I guess it's hard to educate people who don't want to be educated.

I know the DNR doesn't have a ton of spare $s, but it should be up to them to start a campaign against wasting native fish for no reason. I would love to see a 1-page ad in the Fish Regs. devoted to the current law and the ethics (and misconceptions!) regarding suckers, bullheads, bowfin, burbot, gar, buffs, and even common carp as they pertain to the health of our fisheries. Of course, they'll have to state the strict rules regarding the 3 new invasive asian carp as well - DON'T throw them back!!

When I was there I had 3 fisherman ask me what the limit was on Sunfish. I don't think they read the fishing Regs.

I would like to see something in the papers saying that the DNR is investigating (something like this) and will prosecute who ever is doing it.

Just get them talking and scare the Pi$$ out of them. Make them look over there shoulder every time they even think about it. I know I will stop warning them (As I was doing then), just play dumb, take pics and turn them in.

I know the DNR doesn't have a ton of spare $s, but it should be up to them to start a campaign against wasting native fish for no reason. I would love to see a 1-page ad in the Fish Regs. devoted to the current law and the ethics (and misconceptions!) regarding suckers, bullheads, bowfin, burbot, gar, buffs, and even common carp as they pertain to the health of our fisheries. Of course, they'll have to state the strict rules regarding the 3 new invasive asian carp as well - DON'T throw them back!!

+1

I saw a spot on the Rum last week with 7 big suckers laying on the ground 1 big river suckers and the rest were really big Greater Red Horse It was very depressing and my son Joey asked why do people do that sort of thing all I could do was shake my head and say I don't know.

I think part of the problem with the wanton waste issue is that not too long ago, it was unlawful to return rough fish to the water. When I was growing up in the '70s, throwing carp back into the Mississippi was strongly discourgaged, at least in the Cities. Old habits die hard for some, and though the laws have changed, "the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree"...kids learn behaviors from the "adults" around them.