• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Private land to train new pup

hunter1down

I seem to recall lots of green space by the school as I pass through town. Your pup doesn't acres and acres of land before 6 months. Maybe twice as far as you can hand toss a bumper is plenty.

Disclamer: Not advocating use of hwnd thrown bumpers as a preferred training technique. Just using it as good equation of space requirement.

I don't know what your town has, but when my dog was smaller I found several public places that were great for training. Dont need a ton of room, just some grassy/CRP type cover. For example, I found that behind a local baseball field there is some great paths through the woods where I was able to throw his dummy for him. Also consider some of your local lakes, you can typically find some decent swampy cattail areas where you can throw a dummy, and then you can also work on their swimming too.

What kind of pup is it. If it is a retriever you can look into the local retriever clubs, Lake Country or Southern Minnesota Retriever Clubs. Once you get to know some of the members you will have lots of opportunities to train on all sorts of land/cover/water with dead birds/live birds etc. Many of the dog people I know seek out and find places to train with out of lot of effort or expense. Just use your imagination. I drive by Belle Blaine everyday on my way to work and I see a long pond to the east of 169 and south of town that would work, as I drive through Belle Plaine on the way to the golf course I spot two goods spot to train. Just take a drive and you will find what you are looking for.

I agree with browndog, depending on the breed and your location, seek out a training club.

I don't know how they all work but the Southern MN Pointer Club is affordable. $25 a year plus $5 per training day.

When we go camping, I'm always looking for a spot to do a little training and dummy throwing, I can usually find some rough ground off of a walking trail, public access, or park. A young pup doesn't need much space. Take them for a walk, have dummies in a backpack, and when you find a spot, throw a few dummies.

Right sort of. Yes, but MN public hunting you can get a permit for the use of live chukar and pigeons. Live ammo but not between April 14th and july 14th I believe. During seasons you can take your dogs hunting on WPA's, so technicaly you could train during seasons. No one will bother you if your out with a small game lic, working your pup on a pigeon or two. If they do, they need to get a life, LOL.

GET IN WRITING BEFORE YOU TRY IT ALL THE REGS ARE POSTED AT ENTERENCES OF WPA 'S . NO DOG TRAILING ALLOWED UNLESS THERE IS A SEASON OPEN..wAIT UNTIL JULY 15 YOU CAN TRAIN YOUR DOG ON STATE LAND..........

I have always been under the impression you can not train on federal land. I would imagine if you are in there running dogs during waterfowl breeding season, you will be looking at a fine. I agree, I would not step outside of the parking area with something in writing from the office stating go ahead... if you do ever train there in the open seasons... make sure A) you can plant birds to shoot and B) you are carrying and using non-toxic shot.

Good Luck!

Ken

Here you go. This shows you can, and we do all the time. And yes with the DNR OK. Just call the area office # for further info. You can not get these for Federal land. But during season, fair game, as long as you don't break any game laws. But for now on "State" land you can with blanks. Thats what I read, thats what I have been told, And we never get bothered. There is no reason to run the whole public just to toss a couple pigeons clipped and shoot off a blank gun or even plant one 50 yards from a parking area for that matter. We should be respectful of nesting birds. Personaly, I don't do it right now because I don't have to. But here is the link and any one can get this permit. It's free for now, LOL.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/permits/enforcement/dog_training.pdf

Yep... I know State lands can be used after filling out the forms. It's the WPAs I wouldn't go onto without something in writing.

Back in the 80s when hunt tests were up and coming, we applied and were granted permission to use a State management area for a test...

Good Luck!

Ken

Nope WPA's you can not get a permit for period. Those are the Federal lands. Just the MN open to public lands, the Yellow signs. Best to get a map and find one that works near you. Your lucky Ken I was denied in Glenwood for a trial on one. With decreasing CRP, along with Canada Rye problems from the USDA and Pheasants forever. We may need to push to use the public land for field trials. They created the mess, now they can provide a safe place to better the breeds.