• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Throwing Up Dog

drewbop

Hey everyone-

I've had Cooper, a 2 yr chocolate lab, for about 1.5 yrs now. Recently (I'd say the last 4-5 months) he's began to throw up a clear yellow liquid every once and awhile (he actually just did it a few minutes ago and reminded me to ask you all).

There isn't any pattern to it as it can be in the middle of the night or when we come after work. It sometimes it'll be a day or a week in between when he does it.

And it always seems to be a yellow/brownish liquid. I don't know if it's something he secretly eats outside or what, but like I said I can't figure out any pattern to it at all.

Thanks,

Not much help but I also have a 3yr old choc. and this past winter he would do the same, always that clear yellow liquid. Mine eats and acts normal and since he doesn't vomit up anything besides this liquid I just assume it's maybe just a stomach virus or something similar to the stomach flu we get?

My yellow lab would do that quite often. Sometimes it would be after he drank a lot of water...sometimes after he would eat grass (plus the pieces of grass). Probably something to ask the vet about though.

Thanks for the replys. Like GFNER said, I just assumed he could be sick or something like that. But he has done it for the last couple months, so I have a feeling it might be something else. Also, now that I think about it, it started this winter. And same deal, he'll throw up and act like nothing really happened, eat, drink, play like usual.

One thing I've noticed is that he seems to like to eat his "droppings" every once and awhile once they were frozen. Not sure if that would have something to do with it...

He has his yearly check up this month, so I'll have to talk with the vet about it. Hopefully it isn't something more serious-

This sounds like a typical lab with some minor stomach issues. If they vomit the clear / yellow liquid, in small amounts like a few onces, they are most likey empty. Dogs eat grass to settle their stomach. I wouldn't panic but I always rely on the vet for anything strange that lasts more than a day or 2. I hope the hound is alright.

Hm, that's interesting-because it has seemed to begin this winter. And each time it's only a few ounces I would say. And that would explain why he doesn't throw anything up when he pukes, because there isn't anything in his stomach.

I'll still have the vet check it out here in the next couple of weeks...

Had the same problem with my German short hair. Found out dog was very found of its own #2. Good thing was I was getting double the money of the food. Once when I would put it in her bowl and once when she would recycle it on the ground. Buddy of mine recommended putting meat tenderizer of her food. Problem fixed after about 2 weeks...

Not sure if anyone else has #2 eating dogs that would then vomit put thought you might want to watch out for it.

Had the same problem with my German short hair. Found out dog was very found of its own #2. Good thing was I was getting double the money of the food. Once when I would put it in her bowl and once when she would recycle it on the ground. Buddy of mine recommended putting meat tenderizer of her food. Problem fixed after about 2 weeks...

Not sure if anyone else has #2 eating dogs that would then vomit put thought you might want to watch out for it.

Did the meat tenderizer stop the dog from eating #2 or puking?

My pooch (the handsome animal on the left) up-chucks the vile green/yellow liquid from time to time. I have concluded that it is a result of him eating grass.

Seems to happen most frequently soon after we run him and he secretly grazes. He'll come home, drink some water and then we see him mildly convulsing for a few moments just prior to vomiting exactly three times...not once, not twice, but exactly three times. If he's inside he'll usually do this near the door as he knows that it's going to happen and tries to get outside. Usually, the convulsing is ample warning to get him outside or at least off of the carpet and onto the hardwood where it's easier to clean up.

I now watch him very closely while he's outside and give him the what for if I see him chomping at grass blades. If I can't catch him in time I'll just leave him outside for a few hours in anticipation...and I'm usually not disappointed.

Dogs will do this for all the reasons listed, and more, I would as someone mentioned take the dog to the vet if you are worried, but over the years I have seen lots of dogs do this for reasons such as to much water to fast, to much food to fast, grass, stress, eating the wrong thing. Is there any coughing going on with it at all?

Our year and half lab does this as well. It is a yellow bile with no food. Ours typically did this during the afternoons and every now and then in the night. At the time we were feeding twice daily (morning and eveing)so we switched to 3 times a day. We gave her thesame overall amount but divided the amount into 3 servings rather then two. This helped keep the bile in in check as it was working on digesting her food rather then backing up.

Glock