• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How hard is too hard to run a boat in big water?

traveler

Subjective question I know, but the airborne Ranger thread got me thinking about it.

I run a 20 ft fiberglass CC Champion, a little different design then is typically seen in these parts. it's considered a "bay boat" a designation I take to mean big saltwater/inshore bays, where large waves are common. Between lake Superior and Red Lake, I'm on big water a lot, and this boat handles it better than other boats I've been in. Granted, I haven't been in a lot of boats this size in rough water. Plenty of 28-32's, on the great lakes and the ocean, but not this size/type.

So...with the occasional freaked out passengers aside, at what point am I potentially hurting the boat? I've never had it truly airborne, but certainly have gotten some pretty serious air under the majority of the hull a few times. She seems to land well, not slamming down, and handles well in the snotty stuff. It's really a fun boat to drive in big waves, but I'm worried I could be taking it a little overboard, so to speak:)

Yes, I'm wearing (as is everyone aboard) a life jacket in rough water, and I'm useing the kill switch for safety. I don't want to (overly) shorten the life of my boat for a few thrills, but I also didn't buy a fun boat to drive in the slow lane:)

Regardless of the material (glass or aluminum), I think the boats can take it. A good barometer would be your lower back/spine. When that starts to suffer, as well as when passengers/captains are having a hard time maintaining their seated positions, then it is time to slow her down laugh.

I have had my Lund since 05 and have inspected rivets and have yet to find a loose one (or at least as far as I can tell), so that being said all boats are pretty tough, at least hull wise. (Notwithstanding the Edmund Fitzgerald...which was an exceptional circumstance)

ya i cant speak for tin boats but i had a glass for 0ver 19 yrs the first 3 yrs i had that i was fishing touraments just bout everyone on mille lacs including the PWT And i admittly beat the pi$$ out of that boat just bout loss my partner more than once as time went on i slowed but that boat had a wood floor and i did replace that but i check for stress cracks and could never find any

i was at the factory where my yar craft was built and i know it will long out last me and i would think your boat is built to last as well

i'm sure there are always a few variables

Whatever you feel in your back, teeth, and legs when running in waves, the boat feels it 100X more. If you're getting bounced around, and think you might need to slow down, you're beating the snot out of your boat.

I run a Ranger 620 and have either had my boat or been in other 620s on big water like Erie, Green Bay, LOW and Oahe. The real questions isn't how hard is it to run, it's how smart are you, or stated better, how good are you at running the boat and reading what is going on around you.

If you are a tournament guy, time becomes a big factor and you may run the boat harder than what you would like in bad water. If time isn't a huge factor, slow down, read the map (you do have up to date electronic maps in the boat, right?) and take the smartest way home. Going head first into big waves isn't the best way to stay dry and safe, but sometimes it's the only choice.

Some of the very large lakes, the waves are far apart (rollers) so they do not pound you like a "little" lake like Mille Lacs. Keep in mind that these rollers can be coming from one direction because of weather on a different part of the lake and still have waves on them coming from a totally different direction due to local weather. The first time I saw white caps running at a 90 degree angle to the rollers I about puked. It will mess with your head.

Pay attention to the weather and if you don't have to be out there, don't be out there.

Pay attention to the weather and if you don't have to be out there, don't be out there.

you miss my point...I want to be out there! Not in obviously dangerous weather, but it's just plain fun to run the boat in rough seas. I've been on the ocean a bunch, in some stuff that'll curl your hair, and I dig it. I believe i have a boat thats made to play rough, I'd really just prefer her not come apart on me is all...!

If you are worried about breaking your boat, don't be. Stuff In the boat may break but it's really doubtfull that the boat itself will split. There is one particular brand of boat that had some issues of their boats doing that a few years ago but once it happends, the word spreads real quick, and that model is no longer available.

thanks MNfishguy...thats my question exactly. I expect these boats are made to be driven hard, just looking for some assurance from guys that have driven them hard.

BrianMn...kind of the idea of this thread. How far it's safe to push it so as to NOT have it break in half. How much stress it's wise/safe to put on something isn't common sense, it's knowledge, and thats what I'm trying to tap into here. Heck, I could just drive the thing around at 5 mph in a pond, right?? Not what I bought her for. I don't want to be reckless, or endanger myself or others, but I DO want to use it to it's safe limit.

would it be more prudent to find the mfg spec sheet to see what the test info showed? I think of your question kind of like taking a 4x4 off roading. Do you think the mfg have the info on how their trucks would handle climbing rocks or how high you can fall without causing damage to the vehicle? It is so open ended that no one would know.

I agree...I don't think this is something that would/could be "speced". Even whats considered "big/rough water will differ from one guy to the next, as will thier experience/comfort level with the same.

i guess all I hope for is some general sense from guys who run similar size or style boats in rough water as to whether they've had any damage they felt came from simply pushing the boat to the upper/extreme end of it's intended usage.

And that water didn't look absurdly bad...plenty rough for sure, but it's not like they were taking waves over the bow constantly...and that was a pilothouse style boat from the looks of it, made to take abuse.

Gotta assume there was a problem there before that video was made, I can't see that ride causing a cracked hull on an otherwise sound vessel.

Of course, it WAS a tin boat:)

need the full story on that.. that didnt really look that bad for that boat i'm thinking that was leaking before that

I'm guessing the boat is probably over 20 years old, also they looked pretty far from their landing location, so they were probably out there for a while, they also looked to be going fairly fast just to keep from going backwards. The couple hits that thing took just in the video sounded pretty hard, especially the one that should have been "bleeped" out.

I do doubt it was just this one time in rough seas that caused it, a split like that is caused by fatigue from lots of abuse. But the video just proves that no boat will last forever and the life of a hull goes down the more abuse you give it.

How do you actually expect people here on this forum to respond to your question about how far you can push your particular boat in big water? You know there's no definitive answer to that question so why'd you ask? Furthermore, your comments tell me that you're only using this thread and discussion forum as a way to show off what a Reckless Boater / Yeee Haa! cowboy you happily think you are.

I'm not amused or impressed.

Anyway, how's this for an answer to your question?

You'll know for sure that you've run your boat to hard when something happens and you and your passengers find yourselves trying to survive in those same rough seas you believe are so much fun to play and curl your hair in. I'm certainly glad to hear you and your passengers wear your pfds and I sincerely hope the waters not cold and you have time to get off a mayday that somebody can hear. That should be a fun time huh?

Valv, those boats are designed exactly for that purpose, and come with a price tag and repair bills to match.

Quote:
The 47' MLB is designed to weather hurricane force winds and heavy seas, capable of surviving winds up to 50 knots (93 km/h), breaking surf up to 6 m and impacts up to three G's.

Quote:
Cost - $1,214,300

They also have a planned lifespan to them, the CG Interceptors have a 7-10 year planned lifespan. So if you could afford to replace a boat every 7-10 years and scrap the old one, then by all means go ahead and beat the h3ll out of it. But don't expect your Ranger or Lund to take the abuse those CG boats can.

How do you actually expect people here on this forum to respond to your question about how far you can push your particular boat in big water? You know there's no definitive answer to that question so why'd you ask? Furthermore, your comments tell me that you're only using this thread and discussion forum as a way to show off what a Reckless Boater / Yeee Haa! cowboy you happily think you are.

I'm not amused or impressed.

Anyway, how's this for an answer to your question?

You'll know for sure that you've run your boat to hard when something happens and you and your passengers find yourselves trying to survive in those same rough seas you believe are so much fun to play and curl your hair in. I'm certainly glad to hear you and your passengers wear your pfds and I sincerely hope the waters not cold and you have time to get off a mayday that somebody can hear. That should be a fun time huh?

Wow, 3 pages in before the fun nazis chime in!

People seem to be having no problem responding to the question until now.

I couldn't care less whether you're amused or impressed. My question was for guys who aren't tied to thier mommas apron strings anymore and actually want to use thier boat for a few thrills, with safety in mind.

If you don't like the post, you're invited to ignore it.

Wow, 3 pages in before the fun nazis chime in! I couldn't care less whether you're amused or impressed. My question was for guys who aren't tied to thier mommas apron strings anymore and actually want to use thier boat for a few thrills, with safety in mind. Back to the porch milktoast.

I guess then you will have no issue taking your boat out and beat the dump out of it and when an issue pops up you can come back and post EXACTLY how hard YOU should run YOUR boat in big water. I have no problem with you taking off your mommas apron strings and reporting back, I'm sure your report will be quite entertaining. Let her rip Cowboy, we will all be ears to hear your report how you and your rig handled the abuse.

Then I will look forward to the thread on how the boat company won't warranty your boat. shocked

Mike