• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

steel leader?

mrpike1973

I use straight 14# mono on my live and fake decoys and 10# fire line on my spoons. I guess maybe it's from the years using very low visibility low # line on pannies and eyes. But being able too see the line easily always makes me wonder if fish may spook from it. 2c

I don't spear. But i've been tip up fishing all winter with black tip up line tied right to a 12" steel leader to a sucker minnow and i've got dozens of northerns with this method. I always feel better about my presentation when i don't have steel leaders though, but it doesn't seem to make a huge difference most days.

I do not run a steel leader of any sort on my spearing decoy lines or my spinner line I run 50 or 80 tuff line braid to a snp swivel and thats it and I always try to have a spare harness or pin style harness for just in case some thing like this happens.

I dont think it matters if you run a leader or not I just dont like to and I have never lost a set up due to a pike cutting a line yet. Now I just jinxed myself grin

I switched to using steel leaders on my decoy lines after a pike got wrapped up in my line and cut it, sending my brand new decoy to the bottom of the lake. Luckly I was able to get it back, as it was the decoy I won at the GTG this year and my first day using it. It was almost a very bad day.

Bowhunt

The old timer that taught me to spear used duck decoy line to his decoy. I asked if that scared the fish. He said remember you want a curious fish to glide in and look at it not zoom in eat and run. So I have always used braided dacron with no issues. And never worry about fish being line shy he made sense to me. That old timer have me his best red and white hand carved decoy before he died. I had great luck using it until my brother in-law borrowed the house and cut my dacron and added a mono leader.Guess what the biggest pike he ever saw zoomed in swallowed that decoy and zoomed away cutting the mono. You don't want the fish to see the line was his response. I am still p'oed 27 years later.

Mwal

Now I just jinxed myself grin

Yep the worst part is sitting there staring at your favorite decoy all day and not being able to get it back. frown I have hit Bass Pro Cabelas and Fleet Farm and have not found the same lucky spoon yet. Even check the manufactures HSOforum and they don't show it. frown

Yep the worst part is sitting there staring at your favorite decoy all day and not being able to get it back. frown I have hit Bass Pro Cabelas and Fleet Farm and have not found the same lucky spoon yet. Even check the manufactures HSOforum and they don't show it. frown

Well you could simply cut a hole for spearing in the same location as that spoon each time and stare at it while you spear. grin and try to think of other ways to grab it.

Like a net on a hockey stick or something like that.

I think I know my house will be moved next time whistle

I use 30 or 40 pound steel leaders and some times they get broken. I' ve had spears break them and I've had the snaps straightened out. The only fish that they bother, probably you will never see. If you are not seeing any fish with them you can take them off and see if your luck changes. Myself, I just move the house if I don't see any fish. Made four holes this season, and did real well. Opened one hole, many times. Went through many decoy minnows.