• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need Help Deciding on Bow!

fisherchick

I am going to replace my 10 year old Hoyt, that I love, but she needs to be retired. It is a ZR 100. I am shooting league and have been getting better each time, but need to make some improvements on my bow. Other than replace a bunch of items, I think I am leaning toward a new bow. I know this is a tough question, but any suggestions on what to get? I draw at about 45 lbs, I am about 5'6" and 120 pounds, so a lighter weight is probably better? I was thinking about a Vixen, but then my resale might be tougher?? Any help would be great!! THANK YOU in advance!!

I hate to say it but I think every shooter is different.

I'll probably be buying a new bow in a month or two and have begun shopping/shooting. I was hoping to shoot something other than a Mathews but after shooting a Mathews for the last 10 years they just "feel" right to me.

If you hunt with the bow I wouldn't always say lighter is better. You may have to add weight to the bow to quiet it down. If your old bow is 10 years old then almost anything should be much lighter anyway.

Based on your size I think something with a high let off would probably be good for you. However, what ever "feels" the best to YOU is the best bow to buy.

Sorry not a lot of help......

Archerystud's answer is spot on. Frustrating to hear, but exactly right. Shoot a bunch of them and see what you like. I wouldn't limit myself to just youth/female bows either-- the other day I just saw a 2011 Bowtech Invasion in 40-50 lbs that'd be a sweet shooter!!! Good luck!

I fully agree with the others. Shoot to find the best feel for you. Think of brands for bows like brands for trucks. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, which one is the best and you will probably get a 100 different answers and reasons why.

The best place to start is at your local archery shop. Try different brands within your the range of what you're looking for. Ask the staff what they like about each brand, what they shoot, why they like that brand, problems with the company or consistent problems with their bows, customer service to deal with for them and for the bow owners.

I know we didn't give you a straight answer but this is one of those things you have to find for yourself to get the best fit for you.

Good luck.

The varieties are endless and to slim it up just shoot them all and find what you like the best. I have been sending a lot of shooters your size towards the diamond razor edge. With some tinkering you can make some sweet bows.

I just turned my 60 pound diamond marquise into a bow for my 15 year old neighbor girl too use and hunt with by changing the string,shaving the rockers and slapping some razor edge limbs on it,it's a sweet ride for a new shooter.

Hoyt's new vector 32 comes in a weight as low as 3o lbs...i will be picking one up soon!

Archery sniper-way to get kids involved!! My son got his first bow for Christmas. He went to the range the other day, he's been carrying his target around showing everyone since...another addict is born!!