• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

here's a cool concept

cbrooks

Haha, I wasn't intending to make this one of those threads Archerysniper but well played. I'm not trolling on this thread I promise smile. I just I thought it was a cool concept for someone thats interested in C&R the big fish and maybe keeping the little ones. I guess this could be a option on a slot lake for some spear fisherman.

Hearing what alot of spearfisherman love about there sport is the rush of seeing a gator come in and smash a decoy. I might have to try this one of these days. I have to expirence what you guys are talking about.

I have cut holes like you do for spearing on many different lakes for sight fishing .

The most memorable was Mille lacs lake as I also took the darkhouse with and of course no spear we started in cove bay and I did get a few different looks at first but I think most of them figured it out. I many fish and I was jigging a rattlen rap and the mueller even came in for looks see but the fun was the pike t hey would smash that rt and then then drag would scream.

Any time you can site fish it's way better than starring at electronics in my book.

Oh definitely. Watching those things fly in and smash your lure is a thrill. I was up in Ely a couple weeks ago sight fishing trout. That was a blast. I'd sight fished before, but through an 8" hole. This was through a spearing style hole. Like watching the best TV show ever and you get to catch the fish!

I believe you cbrooks, I really want to go cut a spear hole in rush lake or even millacs and sight fish for some of those pigs. I will problly have a few strange looks while cutting a spear hole in those lake but it will be fun.

Good. I didn't want anybody to take this thread as a attack on spearing or anything. I was hoping you guys could chime in and give some info on what works for attracting the gators or anything that a newbie needs to know about cutting a hole. Is it really necesssary for your icehouse to be dark, example would a regular popup blue clam icehouse work?

CB use your auger and drill holes along side each other then chisel the points off and in between them.

You cant go wrong jiggin daredevils and spoons Like I have stated

red/white and chartuse/red are my favorites. If you got them bring the rattlen raps they do come to them and it also brings in the other fish.

Jigs with small to med suckers work well also I will set up two jiggin rods one with a spoon and one with said live bait combo.

Good luck

Like Gordie said I would jig a daredevil it has been my number 1 producer this winter,my second line would be a shiner or sucker on a quick strike rig. With the daredevil start with some soft jigging and if that don't work really rip on it to get a bunch of flash,my best one has been a watermelon colored trout spoon sadly I lost it last weekend it is now at the bottom of the lake.

Like Gordie said I would jig a daredevil it has been my number 1 producer this winter,my second line would be a shiner or sucker on a quick strike rig. With the daredevil start with some soft jigging and if that don't work really rip on it to get a bunch of flash,my best one has been a watermelon colored trout spoon sadly I lost it last weekend it is now at the bottom of the lake.

It was sad to see archerysniper lose that spoon but what was worse for him was staring at it on the bottom until he left. grin

I took it a bit too far. I had walleyes running in the spear hole today. I took a shiner on a red hook and sinker, dropped it to the bottom, that way the northerns wouldn't smack it. When the walleye came in I lift it up for them. The only thing that I need now is a landing net, so I don't loose so many. blush

"diving in the spring" just do the polar plunge and get it now. That has to be a heck of a lure if anybody would go that far for it grin

Well I almost grabbed the neighbor girl by the legs and sank her to grab it since it was her fault it's on the bottom of the lake. shocked But it happens and she speared her first fish over it and got tangled in the line,stuff happens and she speared her first fish and we are both excited.

I took it a bit too far. I had walleyes running in the spear hole today. I took a shiner on a red hook and sinker, dropped it to the bottom, that way the northerns wouldn't smack it. When the walleye came in I lift it up for them. The only thing that I need now is a landing net, so I don't loose so many. blush

So hawkeye is that catch and release or talking of? grin