• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whats a really good catfishing rod to use thanks ??

coonchaser

Everybody has their own opinions on what is a good catfishing rod. In my opinion, the best buy out there is the Shakespeare Ugly Stick Catfishing rods. Cost is about $35 and you can find them at any Walmart. Go with a medium heavy, 7 foot rod in either the spinning or casting version. They work excellent when fishing circle hooks - they have the right amount of flex in the rod to get a good hook set on a circle hook.

full-8403-16928-ugly_stik_catfish_rod.jp

As with any other hobby, you have a whole range of choices. The rod Steve mentioned is a great option.

I've always been a big fan of fiberglass rods (or one with a graphite/fiberglass blend). The are more durable and usually cost less $. Sure they are heavier, but that isn't a major drawback in catfishing, since they sit in a rod holder the majority of the time.

I use the rods Steve mentioned. they are great rods for channel cats. they maybe a little light for some of the larger flatheads out there in my opinion. they do really work good with the circle hooks. for the money they are the best deal. on mine I run IX 4000 shimanos on the spinning rods and on my casting versions I run 6601 C3 Abu Garcia bait casters.

I also have a few ugly sticks for cats and a couple of the fenwick catseries roda also but iffin you really wanna go first class find someone that builds rods and have a custom one made or you could always take up that hobby too.

I really like that last rod DTRO posted and its no mistaking the glow tip.

If you have the money and you know what you want customs are the way to go like gordie said. I have plans to build a custon channel cat rod this spring(in the next month I hope to get started on it) before I start my open water cattin season. I start open water cattin around the first of April. could do it year round because of the nume plant in town(river never freezes in town) but choose to take the winter and ice fish for bluegills, crappie, and cats through the ice instead of open water.

From the rods I've used these are hands down the best rods Ive ever owned. They are more spendy than some of hte other options listed, but you will know where that extra money went wen you get a good fish on one of them! My two are 8 footers. They are fully customizable as far as color schemes go, I like yelllow for visibility of the rod at night! One of the best features are the parachute cord wrapped handles! The durability of that is priceless.......the rod holders can raise he(( with cork, etc. Look them up on the web and consider this option! search "meat hunter Rods" and you'll find the HSOforum.....

Rods.jpg

USA.jpg

Any of the options above are good choices.

if you're lookin for a rod/reel combo, its hard to beat cabelas kingkat saltstriker w/baitrunner combo. you're pretty much just paying for the reel.

i have a few of these setups and they still wrk great. i've even used them in saltwater going after big reds, snook, sharks and tarpon.

"however, they can make a weird noise under extremely heavy loads. Scared the crud out of me the 1st time i heard it. lol"

I have numerous cat rods and a few custom ones.

One of the first rods I purchased is a Cabela's King kat rod. Very good rod.

I have a few others but they are no longer made. The rest are custom made.

I have stopped using the cork handled ones as they get so dirty and grimy looking. There are different wraps you can put on about any rod that look great and do not look grungy after a few years usage. The ones with the EVA handle and foregrip are also easy to keep clean and looking nice.

The picture of the rod SteveD has posted above has the EVA on the handle and foregrip.

The 2 cork rods I have left, I put rod building epoxy on the handle with a very small amount of very fine sand to stop any possible slip while holding. Tis way, the cork does not get so dirty. Keeps the rod looking nice.

No cork for me.

I don't need any more rods either but theres one called "Seeker" I'd like to check out. A spendy salt water rod but the in-shore model looks nice and its MIA.

The sportshow is coming too..picked up a couple good ones at Dan Gapen's booth.