• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Helmet?

Cyberfish

Hi, new snowmobile user here.

How many of you use a helmet? I never paid attention before I got my sled so I have no idea

I mainly will be using it to run to my fishin spots. I think that ice would be pretty hard on the ol noggin if I crashed, but I go pretty slow so is that even possible?

What is the best kind for a reasonable price. is it ok to buy used?

thanks

Hi, new snowmobile user here.

How many of you use a helmet? I never paid attention before I got my sled so I have no idea

I mainly will be using it to run to my fishin spots. I think that ice would be pretty hard on the ol noggin if I crashed, but I go pretty slow so is that even possible?

What is the best kind for a reasonable price. is it ok to buy used?

thanks

Driving from fishing spot to spot slow-No, but on the Trails Yes!!! wink

Definitely not a bad idea to have one. I know someone that flipped their sled at 35 mph while fishing, with their helmet on, and ended up getting airlifted from Red Lake to the cities. He almost died, and is still recoving after about 3 years. He would have been a goner for sure had he not been wearing one. Not only that, but you will want one to keep your face warm.

They say not to buy a used one, but I would feel comfortable as long as it was in good shape.

I asked the same question 12 years when I bought my first sled - Panther 440 - primarily for use on lakes/fishing. I was told that a helmet makes sense even for going slowly across a lake, just for protection against the wind/cold. They were right ... I have gone out a few times w/out the helmet and always regretted it, even on short trips across small lakes. Plus, you'll likely find that you'll hit a trail or two for fun or end up on a trail that leads to a lake and will wish you had a helmet.

I'd say online shopping would get you the best price, but it's pretty important to try one on first to get the best fit. I've read several on-line buyers writing with regret for not trying the helmet on before purchasing.

My latest helmet is an Arctic Cat ... more expensive but also the most comfortable one I've worn. I DO ride trails quite a bit now (when we have snow!) and day-long comfort has become much more important than I thought it would be when I first got started.

Only takes a minute to put it on and could be a life saver. ATV's, Snowmobiles, etc. Never let a kid on one without it.

Absolutely agree. Also agree with the simple reason to also wear one is that it feels much better on the face when even going slow, or into wind.

I have about 6, most older but the best I have is an HJC Symax modular. Comfy, easy to raise the face, and the breath deflector works awesome. Not too expensive either. Good luck!

edit - also agree with Leech that moving spots I don't put it on unless it is just easier to slip it on quick than letting it roll on dash, haha!

edit - also agree with Leech that moving spots I don't put it on unless it is just easier to slip it on quick than letting it roll on dash, haha!
BoxMn if you ever seen me driving my sled when fishing you could walk along side of me! I take it sloooow as I don't want to split my head open or mess up all my gear in the sled. Some times I ride so slow to the next spot that I ride side saddle when it's not to far to go. Beats walking! grin When I am on a big lake with others and we need to move a long ways fast the helmet is on! wink

Ditto leech! I ride side saddle on the "new" atv as well, and just putt putt along. When moving short, or even long distances on smooth snow, on sled, I will just leave my Otter up, but have the support arm keep the door panel above the ice/snow a bit and the rods and heater on the bench seat. So I gotta go sloooooow too smile My dog doesn't have to run to keep up, haha!

Buy the helmet, all helmets have to meet safety guidelines so don't worry about the price for moving between spots. Last winter I was riding on the lake and came over a ridge doing maybe 10 miles per hour, ended up in the hospital with a concussion. Would have been a much different story without my helmet.

Buy the helmet and you will not regret it. Stay safe and stay warm.

Fogging was an issue for me. I started with a Yamaha helmet that had a nice breath deflector that worked fine for the first year or so, but kind of started leaking (breath) as it got older. My new A.C. fits a bit more snugly yet is more comfortable once it's on, and does a much better job of deflecting breath downward and keeps the visor frost-free. I hear that the modular helmets are also very good for that purpose. Hopefully you can find some helmets on sale (low snow year and late in the season) that you can try on and see which you like best. Good fit is very important to keeping a clean visor ...

I currently have an HJC helmet. It's really been a great helmet and have had little fogging issues.....though it has more vents at times then I know what to do with.

I haven't ever tried the modular helmets but have read great things about those. Lots of guys on the yamaha (yep I ride "blue") forum really praise the BVS2 helmet by skidoo for those that wear glasses...though it is pricey.

I have been keeping my eyes open on helmets for my daughter a bit at some of the local motorsports shops, and at least at Moon Motorsports in Monticello they are starting to do their 20-30% discounts. I'm guessing they are starting to get anxious to move some of their "winter" gear. I also swung into Shade Tree in Big Lake and I don't remember seeing any stellar deals. Personally I'd avoid the "Raider" helmets that Fleet Farm sells.....by the time you buy one of those along with the double shield, breath box...etc you are right up there in price as an HJC or other models.

Good Luck!